SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been boat cover discussions before, because I checked. I'd still value opinions....

Should I get a custom cockpit cover (snaps in where the dodger goes), a full cover or wait a season until finances have recovered from buying the boat?

The boat is new, yet to be fully commissioned, with no teak, other than most of the cockpit. The toe rail is synthetic.

The boat is waxed and the teak untreated. We'll be sealing the teak in the spring.The boat will be on the hard in Philly this winter and then head to the Chesapeake.

Wife is strongly in favor of waiting a year (finances) or going with the cockpit cover for now, but I could lobby for a change in thinking....:D

The boat is 45', so cover options range from around $1500-$4200, depending on how custom I go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Doubt you'd get any kind of custom cover in time to use at this time of year. I would just go with some tarps this year and then decide what you want to do in the spring.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Shrink wrap is an option but maybe just a tarp over the cockpit area and check the cockpit drains after snow or freezing rain.
This year winter weather is earlier than previous years in the Philadelphia area, that may mean nothing, but just be prepared to check drains and clear any snow or ice build up.

This morning at the marina Dec 8;

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1479479_488826224565470_26270599_n.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Xo0gM8G6...WyU/1MAlGFFXCFA/s1600/IMG_20131208_115825.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doubt you'd get any kind of custom cover in time to use at this time of year. I would just go with some tarps this year and then decide what you want to do in the spring.
There is a well respected local company close to the yard I've dealt with before for dodgers & covers and he's also doing my cushions and enclosure this time. He can make and install before the bad weather hits, if I give him the say so, soon.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Why submit an expensive cover to a winter's worth of damage before you even go out on the boat with it? That's what canvas tarps are for.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You could try a balanced approach.

I doubt that a single winter will have much effect on your boat. The bare teak will need cleaning prior to finishing next year anyway. A cockpit cover is only a partial solution, IMO.

I'd recommend letting your finances recover and buying a proper full sized cover next year.

I've wintered my boats in the Philly area and on the Chesapeake for decades. While it may seem rough, winter in the mid-Atlantic isn't that bad, especially if you move it to the Bay next year. Just check the boat after any big snows or ice. It'll be fine.

·
Resail man
8 Posts
I agree. It's too late in the season to get one made. I shrink wrap my boats when I have things I want to do over the winter. It doesn't take much winter sun and I'm wearing a t-shirt underneath. One piece of advice, if your doing any wiring this winter, stay away from blue shrink wrap as it changes the colors of everything and you can't tell wires apart from one another.
In terms of covers, I had a Cheoy Lee once and it's cover was real nice in the fact that I could use it summer and winter, mast up or down. Something to consider when you have one made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts