SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a couple of boats from boat donor programs, including a few from Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. I have this feeling that boats from there or the Sea Scouts might be better deals than most, because the organizations have more of a stake in their reputation if they are terrible and there are knowledgeable people in the organizations. I know some donation boats on Ebay from other organizations look downright scary. Is this me being foolish or are my instincts good?

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
Every donor boat I have ever looked at from any organisation has been seriously rough. I figure in many cases they were worth so little that the previous owner figured that a rebate on their income tax was worth more than they could sell the boat for.

Most I have looked at had no sails or engines, spars were questionable.

However, I wouldn't write off the idea entirely. If you know how to scrounge cheap parts it can be an inexpensive way to cobble a boat together.

I don't imagine it's a good way to go for a first boat though, since you may not know how or which parts to scrounge, how to build up a sail plan, etc.

·
Registered
22,716 Posts
In the US, one can now only deduct what the donated boat actually sells for, so the inflated deduction no longer works. That said, donations seem to come in all shapes and sizes. Rarely a gem, or would have been easily sold. Some are probably seaworthy, if not a bit beat up. Some were simply unsaleable.

I don't think the beneficiary organizations reputation is really a backstop. They aren't likely to make any representations.

No doubt, good deals to be found, if one really knows what they are looking at.

Reactions: p1l0t

·
Read Only
144 Posts
I have seen Ebay have ones that were currently listed by a broker. I think your gut is probably right on those. Our CD30 was a boat from a Maritime museum. I think they are worth looking at. The one I pointed out to you if I was close and looking I'd look at it.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,850 Posts
Don't buy a project boat to start off your sailing career. If you spend a whole summer fixing it, your wife may hate the boat before she ever steps onboard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts