SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I've raced on a number of IOR One-tonners like Police Car, and they were all very challenging to race with a full crew. Would I want to sail one of those "Broach Coaches" around the world short handed? No Thanks! You've got bigger balls than I!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Actually, many of the IOR era boats make pretty good fast cruisers and particularly the "two ton" boats. For example, take a look at the Serendipity 43, Wings. Similarly, our own boat, a First 42, was also originally designed as a fast (IOR) Racer/Cruiser. She is very fast, even with just my wife and I managing her; and, she is a very comfortable cruiser as well.

With a little work, Police Car might serve quite "admirably" as a fast cruiser.
I agree, many of the IOR Racer/Cruisers can make great performance cruisers. My boat is an old Half-Tonner, and like your boat, they were designed and built to be dual purpose boats. I remember a particular Davidson designed One Tonner I raced against back in the day that was and probably still is a beautiful cruising boat complete with teak decks and a nice interior. Of course it was no match for the full race IOR boats I was racing on that only had the bare necessities down below...pipe berths, a porta pottie, and structural bracing crisscrossing the interior!

The biggest problem with converting a full-on racing IOR boat is not so much putting the interior into them, although that in itself is more than a little work. It is also the rig. They had massive sailplans and very tall noodles for masts. Even if you ran smaller sails you are still dealing with a mast that requires running backstays and check stays just to keep the mast from folding in half.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't be done, but one shouldn't under estimate the amount of time and money it would take to convert one of those old war horses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.