SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dreamt of sailing the world, on your own boat....yeh, me too.

I have the boat. A classic late 70's racing yacht, Police Car: Google - "RB Sailing Police Car" for photos and a blog detailing the boats history..

On offer is an opportunity to buy a share in the boat and join the project of cleaning and preparing the old girl before setting off to make that dream a reality.

So, if you've got a bit of time or money, an offer or an idea I'd love to hear it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
She will go most anywhere in anything...and still quickly too, but your right, it will be wet...as you know, such boats can be tough - it's 'real' sailing :)

Nah, seriously, your right of course. The racing is tough. She was always much better behaved on the return trips I did...adding some comfort below decks should make it easily bearable...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the one I suggested googling about in the original post. I can't post links unfortunatly.

She is a tuff old bird, loves a blow. Shame to see her as she is, needing a mission!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I hear you SchockT, there is plenty work..

I liked that: old war horse...she certainly feels like that sometimes!

The interior I'm not too concerned about, it's actually really good..being alloy it's really simple to add 'bulk heads' etc etc...that's just time and effort...I have that.

As you say the bigger issue is the rig...the HUGE mainsail...hard to handle with just two poeple on the boat, though it's been done. Along with the boat came an older dacron main, it's a bit smaller, more manageable. In fact if it where just a little smaller, along with the boom being just that bit shorter it could all run under the backstays...so far this is my plan, that and a furling headsail and I'm thinking it will be ok...

She is a great boat, an absolute blast to sail in her original configuration...and she fly's, especially off the wind. She needs a new life now though, no longer competitive to race and far too 'racy' to cruise about on....

The time and money thing...I guess it's a matter of expectation you know...so long as there is a comfortable place to sleep ( instead of an old pipe birth ) and a warm shower at the end of it I find I can put up with lots :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I put together this facebook page. Would be great to hear some stories or see some photos from the old days...

facebook.com/policecaryacht

She's well known the old girl, would seem a shame to loose that history....Maybe a good sailing school boat or just simply taking people out for a days sailing....anybody here got any experience setting up that sort of buisiness...how hard is it really?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.