SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to sail from New York to Turkey. I need a good boat to handle the ocean passage. My preferences are :

Ketch or yawl rig
Medium or heavy displacement
36 - 44 ft.
Long keel

I wold like to hear your comments on this subject.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Hmm... It's not April first... otherwise I'd be thinking this was a prank....

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not know too much about US and Canadian boats. I will buy a boat in US and sail to Turkey with it. This is something like a bet. I might continue to use the boat or sell it when the trip is over. The budget is of course limited, an Oyster 62 is far above the limits.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
It would help a lot if you said what your budget was...

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
My thought was that you are limiting your options quite a bit by spec-ing a ketch or yawl rig. Open that up to cutters and even sloops and you'll have many more options.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
$60,000 seems a bit tight for a bluewater capable boat in the 36-44' range that are ready to make an Atlantic crossing. Quite a few boats to look at, but I doubt most are ready to go as is...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just to confuse things a bit more...have you ever considered a multihull sailboat? How about a cruising catamaran that has less of a chance of sinking if holed?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
A bit tough to get a decent one for $60000

Just to confuse things a bit more...have you ever considered a multihull sailboat? How about a cruising catamaran that has less of a chance of sinking if holed?

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Darn it! There is a budget after all. I thought I was going to be able to live vicariously through you.
Is 60k your budget for boat plus refitting/outfitting or do you have funds allocated for equipment? If so, how much?

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,299 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts