SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, me and my partner are looking to buy a 30-40 foot cruiser
The problem is that he's 6'5"!
What we'd like to know if if people could recommend any suitable boats? If you know of a suitable boat for sale even better!

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
My Bristol 45.5 (Hood design) is very high - never measured it as it is way more than I need at 5'11". Not sure what you would find in a Bristol 38.8 or Hood 38. They are great boats in other ways too.

A shorter partner might be another solution. :)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
What we'd like to know if if people could recommend any suitable boats? If you know of a suitable boat for sale even better!
30-40 feet is a pretty broad range...

I'm 6' 5", as well... And I think interior headroom is one of the most overrated considerations on a cruising sailboat, especially on boats closer to the bottom end of your size range... Lots of tradeoffs in order to gain headroom on smaller boats, not the least of which often result in excessive freeboard or a boxy cabin trunk, and an Ugly Boat... :)

Teach him to take off his hat when he goes below... I've probably smacked my head as much on 50-footers, as I have on my own little 30-footer...

:)

·
Nauticat 43
19 Posts
I'm the same height. In the length range you're considering, the best that can be found is some accommodation. My experience from bareboat chartering is that modern production boats generally have been fine in the midship galley and saloon areas. If it's important to have headroom in the aft cabin, then check out center cockpit designs.

·
Registered
Bristol 29.9
390 Posts
30-40 feet is a pretty broad range...

I'm 6' 5", as well... And I think interior headroom is one of the most overrated considerations on a cruising sailboat, especially on boats closer to the bottom end of your size range... Lots of tradeoffs in order to gain headroom on smaller boats, not the least of which often result in excessive freeboard or a boxy cabin trunk, and an Ugly Boat... :)

Teach him to take off his hat when he goes below... I've probably smacked my head as much on 50-footers, as I have on my own little 30-footer...

:)
Jon,

Do you feel that interior headroom is overrated for a long-term cruising sailboat? I'm curious because my husband is 6'4" and we have plans upon retirement to become full-time cruisers. While it's quite some time from now, we're already doing research and finding our options for 32'-36' boats with sufficient headroom are very limited. At the same time, it's hard to envision cruising full-time on a boat where he can't stand up straight.

Any thoughts/experience you might have would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,579 Posts
All the modern production boats have great headroom

Mine
Salon 2050 mm 6' 9"
Aft cabin 2080 mm 6' 10"
Aft head 2100 mm 6' 11"

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Jon,

Do you feel that interior headroom is overrated for a long-term cruising sailboat? I'm curious because my husband is 6'4" and we have plans upon retirement to become full-time cruisers. While it's quite some time from now, we're already doing research and finding our options for 32'-36' boats with sufficient headroom are very limited. At the same time, it's hard to envision cruising full-time on a boat where he can't stand up straight.

Any thoughts/experience you might have would be appreciated. Thanks!
Well we all shrink as we get older, so perhaps it won't be too big of a problem by then! :laugher:laugher but most modern boats have a lot of headroom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.