SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know from my previous posts, I've just purchased my first sailboat. Currently it's still docked at the brokers, it was placed in the water a couple weeks ago for final inspection. At that time I told him to place new a new zinc on the boat, and I was under the impression that was done. However, I just received an email from the broker that the proper zinc was out of stock, so none was placed! It's going to take at least another week before I can take the boat out of the water for winter storage. Is this a serious problem? Is there anything I can do to minimize the risk before I take the boat out of the water next weekend?
Thanks,
Matt

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Unless there's a big stray current problem at the slip you're keeping the boat at, a week won't really matter as Erps said.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, it's already been in the water for two weeks, so it will be three weeks total. What do you think about that?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Nah, shouldn't be a problem, unless there's an issue at the marina.

·
1,000 Posts
Voice, to help minimize any risk, do not connect the boat to shore power, shut off the battery switches, and go by Westmarine, and buy a zinc on a steel cable they sell there..connect it to the engine ground, and dip the provisional zinc..

PROTECTED FOR 12 YEAR!!

cool huh??? Now go back to your buddies and tell them how gerat uncle Alex is!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Voice, to help minimize any risk, do not connect the boat to shore power, shut off the battery switches, and go by Westmarine, and buy a zinc on a steel cable they sell there..connect it to the engine ground, and dip the provisional zinc..

PROTECTED FOR 12 YEAR!!

cool huh??? Now go back to your buddies and tell them how gerat uncle Alex is!!
Yes, you're wonderful!:) I was going to suggest just going down to a metal reclamation place, AKA junk yard, and find a hunk of zinc, attach it to a piece of wire and hang it over the side after attaching it to the engine ground. Same thing. We're going to be wintering in a marina in Florida and I'm going to be doing the same thing there.

However, a week without a zinc isn't going to hurt anything either.

Nuff said on this topic.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts