SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Dirt Free
3,340 Posts
Re: keel bolt inspectio

Well really you should have just grabbed a screwdriver and opened it yourself for him, though I have never seen any covers that needed to be "unscrewed" other than a quick release type screw and that the surveyor should have done that. They are not supposed to remove any permanently attached panels or cabinets, but I don't think that means "bilge covers" seems he may be taking a bit too literal interpretation of not unscrewing things. It means there is no "destructive" inspections, or where there is risk of damaging something by unscrewing it, I can't imagine if the bilge covers were screwed down that he would not ask the owner, the broker or at least you (at least you and the broker should have been present) to unscrew the covers if he was really unwilling to do it himself. I think I would be refusing to unscrew my wallet to pay for a survey where he did not check the keel bolts on a boat I was looking at.
Many "bilge covers" are teak/holly plywood and often with multiple coats of varnish over the dozens of screws. Removing those screws will often damage the veneer and the surveyor will often be blamed and expected to pay for new panels. I specify to all clients that all panels/covers/hatches that need to be removed for inspection should be removed before I arrive. I will not remove such fasteners as the seller will often be ticked off with me because I found stuff he did not want found and will be looking for a little pay back.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.