SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
This thread should be a sticky under the heading "PUT A SURVEYOR OUT OF WORK".

Still, good advice.
Unfortunately most insurance companies require surveys from NAMS or SAMS accredited surveyors. I can obviously do my own, have worked with a close friend for years who is a very good surveyor, but I am not acredited by NAMS or SAMS so I still pay for them.

there is however absolutely NO need to be surprised by what a surveyor finds. You can also work out a cheaper deal to do an "insurance only" safetya and value survey if you are comfortable in what you've seen and inspected.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I have an agreed value policy (it's and old boat) thru USAA.
Yep you must be under their window or had it prior to their changes in yacht Policies..

I too have USAA for everything except for my boat. They will not insure bigger more expensive boats anymore. Mine is insured for 70k agreed and they won't touch it.. I keep asking!! I'm currently with Amica..

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
My coverage is through USAA, they are now selling Markels "Helmsman Yacht Insurance" on the larger vessels they had stopped covering in-house. My cost from USAA/Markel was 1/3 of what Boat US quoted and is an agreed value policy with twice the liability the Boat US was offering.
I'll call them tomorrow! I bought two years ago and at the time they were not taking any more yacht policies for bigger boats! Amica is EXPEN$IVE..

Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 4 of 5 Posts