SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
A most excellent post! A list of 'problems' categorized as 'dealbreakers', 'major concerns', 'minor concerns' would make this complete.
Who's up for it?

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I don't know if that is possible, since what one person may consider a dealbreaker might be just a good reason to knock down the price for another person.
A most excellent post! A list of 'problems' categorized as 'dealbreakers', 'major concerns', 'minor concerns' would make this complete.
Who's up for it?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Very good set of instructions there.

Wife and I went through this recently - and some of these things didn't apply exactly but the majority did. I actually did some reading on this very subject before even looking at boats.

Worked out good and I think this post has ALL the high points plus some.

(Note: I've used a moisture meter to check wood for other things... didn't think about it on a boat! Seems pretty logical now.)

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
For me with my limited time, limited funds and limited boat knowledge....
Dealbreakers:
Any delamination :eek: (for that matter it would be a dealbreaker for me with unlimited time.....just not worth it).
Problems with spars.
Non-functioning engine.

Major concerns:
standing rigging issues,
engine issues (assuming usable but needing more than routine maintanence).
osmotic blisters ( I understand this is a form of delamination, but minor issues that I feel could be solved on next haulout wouldn't be a dealbreaker)
Unusable sails
Unsafe electrical systems

Minor concerns:
What makes me think I can afford this or any boat :D
Okay pretty much everything else, running rigging, cosmetic blisters, canvas condition...etc...

BTW Dawg, Thanks for starting this post, great info,
Michael

·
Back to just the Jon boat
941 Posts
Sailingdog,

On that moisture meter.........are there directions for use on fiberglass?

Do you just touch the fiberglass or do you have to make a hole to reach underneath to the material (core) you are actually measuring?

I know nothing of using a moisture meter obviously but would follow your advice when I am able to begin looking seriously.

Thanks.

edit

Never mind.......I went to the site and read a little.
Will ask for a short course when I buy one.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Therapy-

The whole reason for using a moisture meter is so you don't have to drill holes in the deck... It is a NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING TOOL. So, no holes. :)

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
What things do you check during a sea trial?

Off the top of my head:
Winches work smoothly
Engine does not overheat after running hard.
Gages all work?

What else to you have?

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
i have mentioned this in other threads. as a retired diesel mechanic, one of the first things i do is take off the oil filler cap. if it has water dripping from it the engine has water in the crankcase. this is because water evaporates and then condenses in the valve covers. it will show up here even if there is not enough to look milky on the dipstick. other things to look for have been posted on other threads at sailnet. i don't remember which ones , but perhaps cam can help out on this.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Bill—

Good tip on the oil filler cap.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
i have mentioned this in other threads. as a retired diesel mechanic, one of the first things i do is take off the oil filler cap. if it has water dripping from it the engine has water in the crankcase. this is because water evaporates and then condenses in the valve covers. it will show up here even if there is not enough to look milky on the dipstick. other things to look for have been posted on other threads at sailnet. i don't remember which ones , but perhaps cam can help out on this.

What does water in the crankcase mean in dollars? Cracked head, bad gasket or either.
One is more expensive than the other. Can you tell?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Excellent thread SD and others... I'm just starting to look and am saving this thread's pointers to give me a better chance to make the experiece better. Sounds like the stuff folks tried to teach me years ago when I sailed as a teenager...

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Glad to help... if you haven't read it yet, I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc..

Welcome to the asylum.

Excellent thread SD and others... I'm just starting to look and am saving this thread's pointers to give me a better chance to make the experiece better. Sounds like the stuff folks tried to teach me years ago when I sailed as a teenager...

·
Registered
12 Posts
yup...

SD:

yup, figured out pretty quick that you were one of the hands here and already followed that link. I do appreciate the time you take to answer folks, even the long land bound like me. Slainte!

·
Registered
2 Posts
no boat is a perfect boat

what boat doesnt have keel issues, deck issues, mechanical issues, rigging issues? Buy the damn thing if it will float. Or buy new, never been in the water and discover them for yourself. If it's a well founded boat go sailing and have fun.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
While no boat is perfect, there's no point in looking at a boat that has serious issues. This thread is all about how to figure out if the boat you're looking at is a POS or worth investigating further. It applies to some degree to even new boats IMHO, since even new boats can have some serious issues...
what boat doesnt have keel issues, deck issues, mechanical issues, rigging issues? Buy the damn thing if it will float. Or buy new, never been in the water and discover them for yourself. If it's a well founded boat go sailing and have fun.

·
Abysmally Stupid
497 Posts
I would like to add one tip to the list:

Bring a video camera.

It has been invaluable to use during our search, we have a small Sony with 40GB har drive and you can shoot a lot of video, which really contains more info than still pictures and give you a better sense of 3D. We have watched and re-watched the videos we took during the search many times during our deliberations. It also allows you (of course) to add verbal comments as you go along an reduces the need to take written notes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your inspection 'thread' is brilliant and I've printed it out as I go off today to see my first boat.

Question..what if you are buying a boat lying in another country? I assume you have plenty of exchanges with US owner prior to making a commitment...but can one rely on a boat surveyor in say, Panama? So if satisfied with owner's answers, do you go ahead and make a deal, subject to inspection and survey, like a house? Or is it best to get a broker involved (there isn't one now).

Any input appreciated.

41 - 60 of 203 Posts