SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Admirals fav target
229 Posts
For a quick easy way to get coverage you can't hardly beat Progressive. They also cover up to 75 miles off shore. Their policies are fairly comprehensive and they don't require a recent survey. They won't insure older boats for over $20,000.00 BUT you do get the same kind of claims service that they give on auto policies.
Most other specialty carriers (such as Markel) are going to require a recent survey. Last time I checked by new they meant within the last 30 days. Some companies also require that they be allowed to do an out of the water inspection in addition to the survey.
There are a lot of bells and whistles you can add to most polices. Some of the most over looked areas that you should investigate would include how are the electronics covered. On some policies they are considered in the boat value and some companies consider that as personal equipment so you would have to raise those limits to have them covered.
Also, depending on the boat and the company, in addition to agreed value and ACV (actual cash value) you might be able to obtain replacement cost coverage. Through one of the companies I got a quote from they actually offered replacement cost coverage on my 1980 Islander.
If you really want to make the process easier then find an agent that is familiar with insuring boats. They can guide you through the entire list of options that might be available to you. IN FACT, I might begin the quest for a knowledgable agent BEFORE I bought the boat. If you decide to go with a Progressive Agent then you'll discover they handle quite a few different types of polices BUT the Progressive boat polices are really well suited for the possible problems you might have.
The other biggie is don't get frustrated while shopping and just take the cheapest policy. Insurance is just like everything else and you end up getting just what you paid for. Good Luck!

·
Admirals fav target
229 Posts
Hey Cam. The last time I quoted BoatUS they seemed incredibly expensive for inland waters. How do they compare for coastal or other areas?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts