SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds totally crazy but in your opinion would it be possible to build a boat made completely out of iPad, MacBook and iphone components.

Perhaps something in the style of a canoe or rowing boat?

Essentially the parts would be bolted or glued together.

It would need to be able to travel on the sea in calm conditions.

Any ideas welcomed.

I know this is a bizarre request!

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Bizarre does not come close, but I will play.

How about this, assuming you could make your massive stock of iPads waterproof. Since you are going to have a boat made out of costly electronic devices, might as well have the do something. Have a 'two-ply' hull of iPads mounted back to back. The other ones are set to take video of what is on the outside, ie - the water, while the images are sent to the inside screens, so you would have a lattice of the edges of the pads (I guess where you epoxy them together) with a moving image of what is outside showing inside

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I am boat user only. A more practical idea would be to rig two iPads, with one outside the boat below the water line and one inside at the same location. It would look like you had a window in the bottom of your boat - but then again, I guess you could just install a window.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Of course you could do it . . .remember you are only limited by imagination and budget . . it's that last one that's a killer . .

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
build it with all the screens in sync on the outside of a shell or actual boat hull that is stationary. The screens activate to show a sea scape rolling by... with dolphins jumping.. gulls a diving... hi tech geeks going ou and ah!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Apple usually has a zero tolerance policy on getting their products wet. Moisture voids the warranty. Also iPads are not tolerant to direct or bright sunlight. Also heat from sunlight will make them shut down by themselves until cooled off.

LOL sounds like you are trying to make a sailboat that looks like it was assimilated by apple Borg. You must use apple components, resistance is futile. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't know about building a boat out of Apple products, but I would be wholly in favor of constructing artificial reefs out of windows devices! Could say they actually functioned properly for once!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts