SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of buying this boat, the owner says it is a 'Pierson 46 Ketch', but I'm not able to find such a make and model. I've located Pearson, but no "46 Ketch" model. I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of some info about this boat. Need to know the year, maybe locate some manuals and hopefully see pics of what others who own this boat have done with the interior of theirs.

Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft

·
Super Moderator
4,464 Posts
No mizzen mast in the photo and no apparent tangs for shrouds for one either. Are you sure it is a ketch? Where was she built, and when? Access from the cockpit to below is not obvious - there does not seem to be a companionway opening there. A photo from the side might also be helpful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No mizzen mast in the photo and no apparent tangs for shrouds for one either. Are you sure it is a ketch? Where was she built, and when?
Thank you for replying paulk, It has the step/space for the Mizzen mast, here is a photo of it just in front of the helm, and there is a traveler on the stern for the boom. Not sure where she was built, but the owner believes it is in the early 70s, just before hull numbers were placed on the starboard side of the stern.

Water Plant Motor vehicle Naval architecture Vehicle

·
Registered
1980 Endeavour 32
97 Posts
She doesn't look like any Pearson I've ever seen. It looks more like a wooden boat that someone has glassed over. Maybe even a home-built ? She just doesn't look like a production boat from the 70's to me. I would really want some more info, and I would really want to check her over thoroughly.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Are you sure you will be happy entering and exiting the interior via the side deck at mid hull? That is an unusual arrangement, and could be deadly in certain conditions. Picture yourself heeled on a port tack in rolling seas with one foot on the companionway ladder and one foot making a step to deck with your center of gravity almost horizontal. A small pitch and you are thrown overboard. I can't imagine why this was designed that way.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,532 Posts
As others have said, that looks like a custom boat, and possibly a wooden boat. Definitely the cabin appears to be built like a wooden boat.
If I had to take a wild guess at what that is, my first thought is that it is a Ray Richards designed Cheoy Lee 40/41, that was built with a custom interior layout and deck plan.

The side companionway while unusual and not the best idea was used on a number of Cheoy Lees, such as the Rhodes Reliant. The idea was that there was an aft cockpit with an aft master stateroom. The midship companionway was so crew could enter the main salon without disturbing the master stateroom. Most, but not all Rhodes Reliants had a companionway into the master stateroom as well.

It is also possible that is a Pearson 424 that someone has customized. The Pearson had the same layout as a Rhodes Reliant and came as a ketch.

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She doesn't look like any Pearson I've ever seen. It looks more like a wooden boat that someone has glassed over. Maybe even a home-built ? She just doesn't look like a production boat from the 70's to me. I would really want some more info, and I would really want to check her over thoroughly.
Thank you oldmanmirage, after hours of research, I thought the same thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure you will be happy entering and exiting the interior via the side deck at mid hull? That is an unusual arrangement, and could be deadly in certain conditions. Picture yourself heeled on a port tack in rolling seas with one foot on the companionway ladder and one foot making a step to deck with your center of gravity almost horizontal. A small pitch and you are thrown overboard. I can't imagine why this was designed that way.

Mark
Mark, mid-deck entry is one of my biggest concerns, especially since I have a 12 year-old daughter who won't have the protection of the cockpit as the goes in and out of the salon. Thank you for the feedback.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As others have said, that looks like a custom boat, and possibly a wooden boat. Definitely the cabin appears to be built like a wooden boat.
If I had to take a wild guess at what that is, my first thought is that it is a Ray Richards designed Cheoy Lee 40/41, that was built with a custom interior layout and deck plan.

The side companionway while unusual and not the best idea was used on a number of Cheoy Lees, such as the Rhodes Reliant. The idea was that there was an aft cockpit with an aft master stateroom. The midship companionway was so crew could enter the main salon without disturbing the master stateroom. Most, but not all Rhodes Reliants had a companionway into the master stateroom as well.

It is also possible that is a Pearson 424 that someone has customized. The Pearson had the same layout as a Rhodes Reliant and came as a ketch.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, I am thankful for the internet community when I see posts like yours. Very informative and pointed me in the direction of even more research material to help with my decision. I agree it looks more like a custom boat, especially after re-examining the photos I took. I did not post them all because I did not ask permission from the owner and he has personal items inside. It is my first time seeing a companionway in that position and your explanation has cleared up the idea behind the design. Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to thank everyone who responded/viewed my post. I appreciate your time. I have decided to pass on this boat. The owner is a very kind man who has even offered to provide tools, parts and the support of his sailing experience if I purchased the boat, but at the end of the day, it will be too much work and I think It will be better for me to buy something in better shape.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
The companionway on the Rhodes Reliant is completely different. While separated and midship, that one opens aft into a well that is surrounded by a coaming and coachroof and leads immediately into the cockpit. It is more like a typical companionway than not - other than it is located further forward. Other boats with midship companionways that I've seen are similar.

I've never seen one like this. It opens up athwartship with one stepping out onto the narrow side deck, and needing to find their way back to the cockpit. The position of one's body while making the transition out is almost overboard. There does not appear to be any other entry/exit from the cockpit into any part of the boat.

Mark

Water Boat Sky Naval architecture Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,532 Posts
The companionway on the Rhodes Reliant is completely different. While separated and midship, that one opens aft into a well that is surrounded by a coaming and coachroof and leads immediately into the cockpit. It is more like a typical companionway than not - other than it is located further forward. Other boats with midship companionways that I've seen are similar.

I've never seen one like this. It opens up athwartship with one stepping out onto the narrow side deck, and needing to find their way back to the cockpit. The position of one's body while making the transition out is almost overboard. There does not appear to be any other entry/exit from the cockpit into any part of the boat.

Mark

View attachment 143558
I agree with you about the side opening companionway being 'unique' and not exactly a good thing. My point was more about interior layouts where the companionway was moved out of the cockpit. After seeing the picture on my computer monitor rather than my cellphone, that is not any boat that I have ever seen and certainly not a Pearson.

Jeff

·
Registered
1980 Endeavour 32
97 Posts
I would like to thank everyone who responded/viewed my post. I appreciate your time. I have decided to pass on this boat. The owner is a very kind man who has even offered to provide tools, parts and the support of his sailing experience if I purchased the boat, but at the end of the day, it will be too much work and I think It will be better for me to buy something in better shape.
I think that is wise. Something else to always keep in mind when buying a boat is selling it. Unless you plan to die onboard (a nice thought - sort of ?), anyway, unless you plan to keep it forever you're going to need to be able to sell it. If it's an oddball or you modify a nice boat into something only you like, you could get stuck with it when you try to sell.

Food for thought !

:D (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts