SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY WIFE DEVELOPS A BOAT MOULD ALLERGY REACTION WHILE CRUISING.AFTER 2 WEEKS ON BOARD SHE HAS ASTHMA TYPE REACTIONS.SHE DOES NOT GET ASTHMA ANY OTHER TIME.
OUR BOAT, LIKE MANY OTHERS MUST BE FULL OF MOULD, BEHIND THE LINERS ETC.
DOES ANY BODY ELSE HAVE THESE REACTIONS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,067 Posts
Aspergillus and other pathogenic molds are commonly found growing on boats, wet basement walls, etc. Some of these species are very toxic and have been linked to extreme respiratory problems.
Cleaning/removal of the mold should be accompanied by stringent protection: respirator and rubber gloves.
Kill the mold and spores firstly by spraying with a chlorox, etc. solution, let soak, then scrub with soap, detergent, etc. Do not touch loosened mold with bare skin. You must kill it first , then remove it by scrubbing.
Long term boat storage can be accomplished with spreading of paraformaldehyde crystals * (toxic) to attenuate mold growth; but, requires significant venting before ''humans'' can enter.
A common site that will influence "reinfection" is the vent hose on the boat''s water tankage - (wet, dark, warm) a perfect incubation location and will also most probably and continuously contaminate the tank water (also causing respiratory, skin, etc. reactions). Clean (or replace) the vent tubing and cover with a ''wad'' of dry sterile gauze bandage material - keep dry & change yearly.
* = Mildew-gaz® etc.
BTW - since your wife has demonstrated severe allergy to these molds... dont let her do the cleaning, as the allergic reaction may be additive and cumulative.... up to and may include a fatal reaction.
:)
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top