SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea on how to remove a painted on name of a boat outlined in black paint on top of the gel coat..?? (Superstition aside !!) :confused:

·
Shaken-not Stirred
118 Posts
The quickest way is to carefully sand, prime then repaint the area. (White?) Use two part urethane paint or some type of hardened marine/aviation type paint. You can then repaint a new boat name (after performing the necessary rituals to appease King Neptune) or you can have the new name printed on a "transferable medium" (although it's kind of pricey) just stick the new decal in place and you're off!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If it is on gelcoat, use Easy-Off Oven Cleaner... it should do a pretty good job of eating the paint while leaving the gelcoat alone. DO NOT SAND, unless you want to end up painting the whole boat.

·
blue collar cruiser
370 Posts
If easy-off doesn't work for some reason then I would carefully wipe the painted letters with acetone. Just about anything is better than sanding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If easy-off doesn't work for some reason then I would carefully wipe the painted letters with acetone. Just about anything is better than sanding.

I tried the acetone, it didnt even smudge the paint....Its storming here right now, or I would be out there with my can of easy-off...Hopefully it is..!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Second the Easy Off worked for me... Spray it on. Leave it alone for a while I waited 30-45 minutes to let it do its thing.. Wipe up any runs quick as i found that marked the gel coat if left alone. The marks came off but it just saves some time. Then get some 3M rubbing compound and elbow grease to finish off the job. If you are putting a new name over where the old one was you may still see a shadow of the old name but over time the UV rays will wear it down...

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I used Goof off and a 600 grit equal plastic steel wool equal. No issues overall. I preferred to use the spray vs the liquid onto a rag, wipe and rub with the wool.

Marty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used Goof off and a 600 grit equal plastic steel wool equal. No issues overall. I preferred to use the spray vs the liquid onto a rag, wipe and rub with the wool.

Marty

Looks like Ill have to try your method. Easy-Off got the black trim around the blue lettering off, but it didnt seem to touch the blue lettering...The blue lettering is paint and not decal and on very thick & STUBBORN..:(

·
blue collar cruiser
370 Posts
Acetone WILL work, I've done it myself on my own boat's painted on lettering. Try again with a little more elbow grease before resorting to sanding.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
How long did you let the Easy Off sit??? Might need a second treatment with more a bit more time.
Looks like Ill have to try your method. Easy-Off got the black trim around the blue lettering off, but it didnt seem to touch the blue lettering...The blue lettering is paint and not decal and on very thick & STUBBORN..:(
Easy-Off Oven Cleaner works better and has a much lower chance of damaging the underlying gelcoat. :)
Acetone WILL work, I've done it myself on my own boat's painted on lettering. Try again with a little more elbow grease before resorting to sanding.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Don't forget the un-naming ceremony with three virgin's, lots of booze and applications of cash and gold.

Okay, maybe not the cash, gold or booze, and the virgins are optional.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
You might try John Vigor's Interdenomination De-Naming Ceremony to ward off the ill-luck of renaming the boat. When you re-christen the boat, don't use cheap booze... use some good stuff... the sea gods will be offended otherwise... :)

·
Shaken-not Stirred
118 Posts
If you end up having to sand the name off, don't be alarmed. You do not have to repaint the entire boat. If your gel coat is in excellent to very good shape it is better if you don't have to sand but sometimes that is just the way it goes.

The paint removal suggestions offered here are all excellent ways to remove the old paint with minimal collateral damage.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Another remover is "finger nail polish remover" I used that on my old truck removing the ex's name on the door. Did think it was funny when the "jan" part came off easily, but the "ice" part at the end was a real beech! Still laughing about it to this day!

The "steel wool" at the "000" grit now that I think about it, did not damage my gelcoat any. If that is too fine, you might try a "00" or a foam back wet sand 600 equal. Do not use a lot of pressure!

By the way, IIRC "Pam" was an engineer at Boeing trying to come up with a veggy oil lubricant for in a motor or some equal, and low and behold, it worked as a lubricant in a fry pan for foods!

Marty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As soon as it stops raining...(South of Tampa), I got my finger nail polish, 000 Steel wool, more Oven-Off, Johnny Walker Red and a brick with the present boats name on it to heave overboard when the deed is completed....

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
BRC-

Use the Johnny Walker Red last... or you'll probably regret the results... :)

BTW, don't ever use actual STEEL WOOL on a sailboat. You'll get a really nice case of rust pox from it...:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After two hours of elbow grease I am posting the results..Nada :laugher ..The outer black border came off right away the blue lettering paint did dull a bit but thats it....

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
My boat had the name painted on it when I got it. I was compounding the boat one day using rubbing compound and an orbital buffer. I discovered that if I compounded right ofer the name that the compound had just enough abrasive to remove the name. As a beneficial side effect, the compound helped even out the color in the area where the name had been. My boat is blue and the name was red and gold. You might want to do a test spot on a white boat in case it bleeds. On a flat surface, I've had good success with a razor blade in a scraper handle. Be careful to not let the corners dig in. Frequent replacement and rounding the corners a little bit with sandpaper can help prevent gouging.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts