SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere else there's an ongoing thread about odd boat names and that raised a question for me about traditional boat names. The US Navy have their names by class of ship and commercial ships seem to incorporate the name of their owner. Is there, or was there, conventions for naming private yachts and boats?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Anything with the word 'emergency' 'danger' 'threat' ect... Should be avoided in case a call goes out to the coast guard. Radio transmission isn't static free, and miscommunication is common.

I also recommend not naming the boat after your girlfriend. Wife's get pissed about this one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Nothing that sounds stupid or confusing on the radio."

You mean like "Daisy May" or "Sweet Cutie" (that's a joke Guys)

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Another one to not use is "rescue pod" another confuser for the USCG or others
How about "breaking wind"

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
First and foremost it has to be classy. Like the boat I saw this summer: "Alcohaulin' Ass"

·
Registered
724 Posts
Please ignore these people and name it something embarrassing or confusing. VHF around here seems to mostly be used for non-stop chatter, insults, and occasional admonishment for the chatter and insults. The only thing that keeps having to monitor 16 bearable are the embarrassing or confusing names. For instance, this year I had the pleasure of listening to a very confusing distress call from a boat named "It's all good." And the guy that radioed the CG to report that he had just run into a boat named "So lucky." (Before anyone gets upset at my pleasure in other's misfortune, I believe everyone was OK in both instances.)

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
I've always thought the fun of owning a boat is giving it a name. My first boat - a LoneStar 13 - I called it "A Tangent" so I could go off on one... and since sailing is often about angles....

The one I am selling now, came with a name... "Synergetic"

But this thread brings to note the need of a name in an emergency. There are lots of boats without names, when someone reports there is a non-named 16-foot sailboat that is capsized.. is it any easier to understand/find than 'a 16-foot sailboat called "Lost Cause" ' when you report it to the coast guard?

·
Registered
23,475 Posts
I find clever names with sea, wind, knot, etc, to be like a good joke. They usually work the first time, then they get old. Can't see making them permanent names.

The other I get a chuckle out of are those clearly named for their wives or some other sentimental offering to pave over the road to getting the boat in the first place. ie. Lady Linda, etc. Usually found on mega yachts.

Names in foreign languages that are hard to pronounce or recognize are probably not safe in an emergency, nor very functional when calling in for a slip. Of course, Minnewaska is an indian word for Good Water as well as the name of a place with many fond memories for us.

No offense intended to those with these conventions. To each their own, in the end.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Give it some thought and have it work personally for you. It should speak for you and to you.
Hippocampus means sea horse in Greek. It is the area of the brain that makes and helps recall memories. When I pull into a harbor many folks know what I do for a living and smile. I've used the same name for various boats since the early 1980's. It has started a lot of friendly conversations.

·
Owl
292 Posts
One of the things that my family used to do for fun was to go walk the docks and see what names people choose. I've always thought there were only two conventions for naming recreational vessels: a woman's name (wife, gf, daughter, old flame, never your mother-in-law...) (cf the thread about is sailing sexist) or a good pun. Not all puns are good.

Personally, I've always wanted to challenge both conventions at once by naming a boat "Bob".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts