SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,857 Posts
Reaction score
One other point... if you're receiving compensation for the use of your boat, you may be considered that the boat is being chartered. Charter boats require commercial insurance generally, and also require a USCG licensed captain involved.
One thing that is always overlooked by many that think they can make a quick buck doing a charter is the boat it's self must documented as a commercial vessel and equipped as a commercial passenger vessel. Please see CFR 46 for the requirements. Under 6 passengers is a OUPV, over 6 passengers the vessel needs to be inspected and have a valid COI from the CG and the Capt. must have a Masters license.

· Registered
5,857 Posts
Reaction score
Personal thought was they didn't want to pay. They were looking for someone all giddy about being around models, and jump at the chance for free.....IMHO......i2f
If thats the case, it gets into a real gray area in regards to is it a charter or is it not. A lot of skippers would say, I not taking money therefore it is not a charter. The Coast Guard could say the boat was being used for a commercial photo shoot and lack of payment does not have a bearing. I have read in the Professional Marine rags that cases like this going both ways in the past.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.