SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,691 Posts
re Mac 26

What I know about the Mac 26 I have learned from here but willing to pass it on to you.

The Mac 26 is an abomination to the powerboat world and an even worse sailor. The fact that you would even consider it means you should buy an RV instead and try find a place to park in next to the water.;)

Maybe go the other way around in your boat search. Start looking for what is for sale in your area, then do a search on here, most every boat has been talked about at one time or another. There is no use to find your dream boat here if it is not for sale anywhere nearby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure I made it clear I DO NOT want a Mac ... I did find a Seafarer and am having a hard time finding much information. It is a 1976 29' if that helps.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I usually read the whole post before I reply but I guess not everybody does... I looked at the Seafarer site and it looks like a good deal. Pretty boat from good designers and from what I know a good company. Same engine I have in my CS27, a bit light on HP but simple and reliable. If there are no issues like a soft deck (as it is probably cored) I'd look into it further.
Brian

·
Registered
684 Posts
So if you didn't want or don't like a Mac 26, and aren't considering a Mac26, why did you have to trash them? You know there are a lot of them out there, so some people like them. It is too bad that some people on this list just have absolutely no feelings or compassion for others.

For just argument sake, let's say you find a older 28 ft boat for $20K. A lot of other people may think you are stupid to buy a worn out junker, and just to make sure that you know you have a junker and are stupid for wasting your money and time, suppose they, and others with same thoughts, post again and again what a piece of junk you have. It wouldn't make you feel very good, would it?

Mac26's have a place. They provide boating for lots of people. They actually have some neat ideas if those features are important to you.

I don't have a Mac26, but I don't see any reason to trash what someone else has. Peace.

·
Registered
433 Posts
What's in a Title

What I know about the Mac 26 I have learned from here but willing to pass it on to you.
A bunch of Heresay
The Mac 26 is an abomination to the powerboat world and an even worse sailor. The fact that you would even consider it means you should buy an RV instead and try find a place to park in next to the water.;)
See what a Title invites....

Maybe go the other way around in your boat search. Start looking for what is for sale in your area, then do a search on here, most every boat has been talked about at one time or another. There is no use to find your dream boat here if it is not for sale anywhere nearby.
Your signature says it all:
Jordan
Searching for the Perfect Pocket cruiser
SLC UT.
Sounds like an armchair sailor-wannabee with no boat but plenty of criticism.
NCC320 is correct, there is no need to be trashing any model of boat, the Mac26 serve a niche market and does so very well, the sales figures are indisputable, people are buying them, for good reason, they are affordable, versatile, and they get folks out on the water, and then on to bigger boats. They make a great starter boat for the un-initiated.
The OP should never have used Mac26 in the Title to get attention, as it can and does invite negative responses. Now the OP's thread is being filled with the wrong responses, ones that are not pertinent to the request for info.
That was really smart wasn't it!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have to say there is a NEW Mac26 kicking around Northport Harbor this season and i have seen it out and sailing MUCH better than i would have thought :)

And that is from my racing POV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your signature says it all:
Jordan
Searching for the Perfect Pocket cruiser
SLC UT.
Sounds like an armchair sailor-wannabee with no boat but plenty of criticism.
NCC320 is correct, there is no need to be trashing any model of boat, the Mac26 serve a niche market and does so very well, the sales figures are indisputable, people are buying them, for good reason, they are affordable, versatile, and they get folks out on the water, and then on to bigger boats. They make a great starter boat for the un-initiated.
The OP should never have used Mac26 in the Title to get attention, as it can and does invite negative responses. Now the OP's thread is being filled with the wrong responses, ones that are not pertinent to the request for info.
That was really smart wasn't it!
Let me start by saying I do not mean to trash Mac's as a whole, they serve a purpose, for lakes or protected waters. I do not feel that they would be affective for any kind of trip 20 miles off-shore as is advertised in the Macgregor DVD *yes, I did get the DVD and watched it, I didn't just jump on a bandwagon*. I may be newer to sailing but math has always been a friend of mine and the way Macgregor pitches his boat is wonderful, but it is too much like a used car sale to me. I just don't trust a company that uses that much smoke and mirrors in the advertisement. To me it is like buying a Dodge, even with a life-time warranty the company couldn't sell cars! I don't hold anybody who buys a Mac to any less of a standard, as long as they don't take the boat outside of its design limitations.

If I could delete the post I would.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I do not feel that they would be affective for any kind of trip 20 miles off-shore as is advertised in the Macgregor DVD *yes, I did get the DVD and watched it, I didn't just jump on a bandwagon*
When I was out at Catalina Island (22 miles off the cost of California) a month ago, I saw a ton of MacGregor 26 boats.

I am personally not a fan of planing motorboats as it's not my style, but I think overall the boat is a really good idea. People think about them the wrong way- comparing them to real sailboats, instead of to other fiberglass cabin cruisers with outboards that can't sail- which I think is a comparison that makes more sense, since that's what it's really competing with.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When I was out at Catalina Island (22 miles off the cost of California) a month ago, I saw a ton of MacGregor 26 boats.

I am personally not a fan of planing motorboats as it's not my style, but I think overall the boat is a really good idea. People think about them the wrong way- comparing them to real sailboats, instead of to other fiberglass cabin cruisers with outboards that can't sail- which I think is a comparison that makes more sense, since that's what it's really competing with.
The MacGregor absolutely does not compete with a cabin cruisers, it is in a class of it's own, a hybrid, a powersailer, a sloop sailboat that has some hull characteristics of a powerboat. For a sailboat it powers pretty good and for a powerboat it sails pretty good but does niether extremely well, but rather, does both well enough to satisfy the sailor or powerboater especially if there are one of each in the buying decision.
I sail mine in the PNW, Georgia Strait where it can and does get pretty rough and the Mac handles the weather in its' stride, the crew will fail long before the Mac will. The Mac does what it was built to do and does so very well.

·
Senior Mumble
320 Posts
There are a lot of Pearson 30s in the lower end of price range in the OP. That leaves some budget to refit. They're sail well, can take some weather, are decent for coastal cruising.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I must have made a wrong turn somewhere

I just joined sailnet yesterday. But it looks like I don't belong here. I did not realize that it is a place for "real" sailboat owners to put down others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
bljones,

Are you trying to prove my point?

I came to sailnet to find some of the great info. Maybe even contribute some of my experience.

I started sailing 35 years ago, and have sailed vessels from Sunfish to 295 ft barque (three masts and 22 sails, mostly square rigged, in case you don't know what a barque is).

I sail my Mac 26X frequently during the spring, summer and fall. The ice is usually too thick in the winter. I sometimes sail single handed, sometimes with family and friends. The boat spends its off-duty time on my driveway.

Yes, there are some things I don't like about my boat. My main complaint is that it is too conservative. I would love to have substantially more sail area available for light air.

It handles very well in moderate winds (10 - 15 knots) and handles heavier winds as well when properly reefed. Properly sailed, it does a fair job of keeping up with the keelboats, out sailing some of them.

I have a 50 hp outboard, but I usually sail. When I launch my boat, I start the engine to make sure it works. Usually, I then turn it off and sail off the dock.

If the dock at the ramp is not busy, I will sail in as well. If the ramp area is busy, I power in so as to not inconvenience the other boaters.

I do use the engine to empty the ballast tank or to pull the kids in the tube.

If I had lots of money and lived near the coast, I would get a different boat.

To those who say that the Mac 26 is not a blue water cruising boat, I would agree. I would also add that most of the sailboats I see in the forums are not blue water cruising boats either.

Having said this, I don't really care what you think of me, or my choice of boat.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
FadaMor
I can't find where anyone posted anything insulting to you. And most have nothing bad to say about the MacGregor as long as it is used as designed.
Remember this is an internet forum, not as prim and proper as many institutions. There are many differing opinions here as everywhere else and I think everyone is entitled to theirs.

What is a "blue water cruising boat" by your definition.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
There are going to be quite a few boats in your price range in the size range you're looking for, but most will be older boats. Any newer boats in your price range are likely to have some serious issues that need addressing.

Some boats that were built right are:

Alberg 30
Tartan 30
Tartan 27
Tartan 28
O-Day 302
CS30,
C&C 30
Pearson 30
Ericson 30
Hallberg Rassy Monsun
Southern Cross 28/31—be aware some were home-finished and YMMV.
Elizabethan 29, 30, 31

Ok, first I have no intention of buying a mac26. I've read enough already to avoid that mess, but I knew it'd get some attention in the title

What my wife and I do want is a good sized cruiser 28+ feet that can handle some weather but is primarily used to enjoy the beautiful Maine coast line and islands. We are looking to spend under 20k, we don't want the world just something we can spend a weekend on and enjoy the water, speed isn't much of an issue for us but light winds do happen. I've been around motor/fishing boats my entire life but am "new" to sailing, so something that is easy to handle would be a must.

Hopefully we can find some good advice here. We just want a list of common boats in that range *30foot* that were built right the first time and just do what they do, sail! We already have a nice home and don't wish to confuse the two. What we need is a weekend get-a-way.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
bljones,

Are you trying to prove my point?....

Having said this, I don't really care what you think of me, or my choice of boat.
Start pumping your brakes right now, dude.

If you did a little research before flogging yourself with the victimhood whip, you might have found what I wrote regarding Macs about a month ago, in this thread:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/macgregor/62114-mac-26m-best-sailboat.html

I said:

"Friends of mine have been boatshopping for several months, waffling between powerboats and sailboats and of course the 26M/X is on their list. After giving them my best old-salt-true-sailor sneer, they laid out their reasoning, causing me to modify my opinion of the Mac 26.

For what it is, it is absolutely EXCELLENT.

The problem is, most people don't know what it is.
It is NOT a sailboat- too tender, rigged too light, too big an engine,too many compromises and a weird hull shape.
It is NOT a powerboat- it's got a mast, boom, too many compromises and a weird hull shape.

What it is is a "happy family boat." Sorta an iphone of a boat. Here's what I mean:

The kids want to get slaphappy silly getting the bejesus bounced out of them while hanging onto a tube for dear life and inhaling half the lake? No problem this boat has an app for that.

Want to enjoy a nice light wind sail and teach the kids about sailing, until they get bored and want to go tubing? No problem. This boat has an app for that.

Wind pick up, storm clouds threatening, everybody is getting a little nervous and you want to get back to the dock quick? No problem. This boat has an app for that.

Want to take the whole family on a sailing vacation for a couple of weeks in the Keys, but you live in Cincinnati? No problem. This boat has an app for that.

Are you a novice boater, unsure whether you will like sailing, unsure whether you will like powerboating, don't want to guess wrong and buy a sailboat when you would rather have a powerboat? No problem. This boat has an app for that.

How many of us have found our kids, once they reach a certain age no longer want to sail, instead they would rather hang out with their powerboat owning friends, because "sailing is slow and boring?" How many of us have spouses who won't sail because they get antsy when they see storm clouds on the horizon? How many of us wish we could cruise our boat in new cruising grounds but can't because we only have two weeks of vacation available?
It's not for me, but it may be the right boat for my friends, and at the end of the day, if you're on the water with a grin on your grille surrounded by a family grinning just as big, then it's the right boat for you."

Feel free to apologize anytime. If you're still here.

You will be as welcome here as you make yourself. Victimhood and persecution complexes only work in the Politics forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mitiempo,

I can't find where anyone posted anything insulting to you.

I took bljones's "I would be happy to call you a whaaaaaaambulance." comment to be a personal insult.

also, jephotog said

The Mac 26 is an abomination to the powerboat world and an even worse sailor. The fact that you would even consider it means you should buy an RV instead and try find a place to park in next to the water.

mitiempo: And most have nothing bad to say about the MacGregor as long as it is used as designed

You statement is correct if the MacGregor boats were not designed to be sailboats.

What is a "blue water cruising boat" by your definition.

Ok, I have not looked at every boat that has been mentioned in the forum, but most keelboats are design for coastal cruising, not for offshore passages. That does not mean that they can't do offshore passages, just that they were designed for a different purpose. This sailnet forum posts explains the difference.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/57322-salts-corner-table.html#post516461

bljones,

If you did a little research before flogging yourself with the victimhood whip,

I came to sailnet.com forums with a particular question in mind. Specifically, I was looking for information related to trailering a boat to Canada.

I searched the forums for topics about trailering boats to Canada. The first five apparently relevant threads had people talking about how the Mac 26 is not a real sailboat (just like you did in the thread you just refered me to).

The comments from people who own and sail the Mac 26 said that while there were some things they did not like about the boat, overall it met their expections and was a good boat.

The comments from other people (who did not own MacGregor sailboats) were overwhelmingly negative, suggesting that no real sailor would be caught dead on a Mac.

Then today, I saw this thread in which the OP openly admits that the only reason he said Mac26 in the subject was it would get people's attention.

I have, since my first post done quite a bit of browsing the forums. What I found was that in general the comments about the Mac 26 and the kind of people who sail them were consistent with the first five threads.

And finally, bljones said,

Feel free to apologize anytime. If you're still here.

I am sorry I posted off topic. I am sorry I let me frustration get the better of me.

I do not intend to leave.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts

The Mac 26 is an abomination ...
Fada Mor,
I think you will find that most of the negative Mac 26 posters have never set foot on one much less actually sailed one. These boats tend to provide a flash point for unsolicited outpourings of negativity. This may be because they are popular, reasonably priced (used), versatile and can sleep as many people down below as most 30 footers or it is just human nature to try to elevate yourself by putting others down. Don't take too much of this MacGregor negativity to heart. Many just repeat negative statements of others and have no first hand knowledge of the Mac 26 family.
Hell, people mock my boat because it is old but I'm not going to get a different boat to satisfy them.
A buddy of mine has the 26 S and it is a good boat for what it is intended to do - and yes, I have sailed on it on the Atlantic for about 50 miles in fair weather.
Enjoy your boat and stick around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts