SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how I would find out the name of the owner of a boat - I know the name of the boat as well as where it is registered.

Thanks

Amanda

·
Registered
581 Posts
The U.S. Coast Guard has a website - under the Department of Transportation (it''s like a mil.gov site) that you can find with a search. That information will cost you about $4 and they''ll bill you for it. They send the info via email, as I recall.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Wait a minute. If the boat is Documented with the U.S. Coast Guard, they''ll find it for you. Otherwise you have to go to the State organization that handles boat registration.

·
Registered
654 Posts
People register boats in the Cayman Islands specifically to avoid being identified as the owner and to avoid taxation issues. I believe you are out of luck on this one, sorry.

HAM

·
Administrator
9,186 Posts
You can try sending a note to the agency that registers boats for that state and see if they will give you the owner''s name. I have gotten the name of an owner for a friend who backed into a boat while docking and wanted to contact the owner. Also if the boat is in a marina you may be able to get the owners name from the marina staff.

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
It might be easiest to contaqct a solicitor (f..ing lawyer ) in the Caymans and he can probably find out. He might even know the owner as it is not a large place. Michael

PS Good luck with the f...ing brits!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts