SailNet Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
And being able to purchase alcohol and other addictive products is **absolutely** essential for many, not joking around at all.

Even so-called "recreational" mind altering ones that many do not believe physically addictive help contribute to the population getting through this, and safe / legal distribution helps reduce COVID infection vectors.

·
12,174 Posts
Rick,

What’s how far away is the closest hospital?
In our area they are flooded with people ( first hand knowledge) . I wonder if the EMT/ police would share your feelings. It appears some areas even close to each other geographically have differing experiences.
Density appears to be a contributing factor in its spread ( makes sense) where suburban areas not hit as hard.

Hospitals, pharmacies, stores in many areas around you are very very busy. We get Baltimore/ Philly/ Delmarva TV stations . I have lots of family in Swathmore, Malvern , Bucks County, Medford Lakes and Cherry Hill.

Having to lay off 1400 people with families is pretty apocolyptic .

Good that you can work from home and have an ability to do that that many / most don’t have.

Not doing testing Except for the very sick doesn’t show the true magnitude of the epidemic.

I agree time to enjoy what you have.

Stay safe for you and your family😄

·
Registered
159 Posts
I certainly wouldn't want the "freedom" of having to row out to my boat every time I had something to do on it!

I pay $1800/year for a 44ft slip, including power and water.

We don't even have mooring fields around here, it's all docks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
WOW, that price for a slip sounds like a real bargain to me! But I think that boaters who mostly use moorings don't row anywhere because they have a dinghy with an outboard on it. In recent years, electric start small (ours is 20hp) outboards are becoming more common and that means you can have an automatic bilge pump so no need for bailing after every rainstorm.:)

My boat (still offseason here in Maine) is currently in a slip but I can't wait to get it back on its mooring so all I have to do is drop the mooring pennant when I want to go for a sail! Also, once on it's mooring, we have privacy and the boat always points in the "right" direction. With solar panels and a wind generator and a WIFI antenna that pulls in the signal from almost a mile away, we lack few of the creature comforts or conveniences of being in a slip, and we tend to do a lot more sailing than if we were hooked up to electricity and had half a dozen dock lines to untie.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
People thinking liquor stores are essential shows how much lip service is really going on. It also adds to people not fully taking the whole thing serious.

Lets be clear, if you currently leave you house and travel in public for anything other than food (and not because you are out of cookies, but that you really don't have food that you can survive on) or medical you are part of the problem. While that doesn't make you boat scum it definitely makes you a form of scum!

People stop with the stupid silly justifications and stay put out of contact. Don’t be SCUM!
Yes, liquor stores are considered essential. Do you have any idea how many functioning alcoholics there are in society? People you know and wouldn't even guess. People will start to do stupid things if they run out of booze. The liquor stores are open but they only allow a few people in the store at a time, and people wait outside in spaces out lines. The sidewalk is marked every 2 meters and people abide by that. Not that lineups are long because there is no panic.

We aren't in a full lock down here. Things aren't that dire yet. I still go to work as my trade is considered essential service. Most of what I do does not require me to come into contact with people, but when I do I follow hygiene and distancing protocols.

If everybody is smart about what they do and where they go they can reduce their chances of spreading the virus to nil and still maintain some normality in their life.

Perhaps things are more dire where you are. Perhaps the government doesnt trust the population to listen to and follow health experts advice. Perhaps they are over reacting because while other countries were testing, tracking, and isolating outbreaks they were still in denial about the seriousness of the situation.

Whatever the reason, things are different here. So try not to be too judgemental about what other people are doing to cope with the situation.

·
bell ringer
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Guess the guy on the corner selling crack is now at the top of the essential services market

:puke:puke:puke:puke

Guess in a month there will be less addicts and drunks around then

= scum reduction

Sorry some of you bleeding hearts don't like this, but the Others don't need to continue to risk infection for them

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Guess the guy on the corner selling crack is now at the top of the essential services market

:puke:puke:puke:puke

Guess in a month there will be less addicts and drunks around then

= scum reduction

Sorry some of you bleeding hearts don't like this, but the Others don't need to continue to risk infection for them
Wow! Really?

Do you honestly believe that all alcoholics are scum? Are you truly so ignorant that you don't believe that mainstream society isn't full of functioning alcoholics? Yes even rich people get addicted.

But then you are in a country where mainstream politicians are arguing that the elderly and vulnerable should be sacrificed for the sake of the economy, so I guess I can see where your attitude is coming from.

·
Old soul
4,548 Posts
Wow! Really?

Do you honestly believe that all alcoholics are scum? Are you truly so ignorant that you don't believe that mainstream society isn't full of functioning alcoholics? Yes even rich people get addicted.

But then you are in a country where mainstream politicians are arguing that the elderly and vulnerable should be sacrificed for the sake of the economy, so I guess I can see where your attitude is coming from.
I think we can all tell who the real "scum" is here. ;)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Sociopathic tendencies and the ability to live inside an artificially belief-system defined "reality" are key attributes of "success" in American capitalism.

·
bell ringer
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
To just save you all the trouble let me be clear.

I am not overly concerned about alcoholics or illegal drug users well being over the rest of us no matter how “ functional”they are.

Liquor stores are no more essential than crack dealers. If you feel the liquor store is an essential business in the current panic you need to reconsider yourself.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
They are objectively essential from a social POV.

They are just not essential **to you**

nor to those whose lives you consider having greater worth than the addicts

and that is the point.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
To just save you all the trouble let me be clear.

I am not overly concerned about alcoholics or illegal drug users well being over the rest of us no matter how “ functional”they are.

Liquor stores are no more essential than crack dealers. If you feel the liquor store is an essential business in the current panic you need to reconsider yourself.
Maybe the difference is that we arent panicked. We have been dealing with this in a calm and orderly way. We listen to our public health experts, and so do our politicians. Our policies are based on their advice, not the whims of our politicians.

Down there you guys seem to be in full panic mode because of a lack of leadership at the top. You were caught completely unprepared because you ignored the warnings for many weeks before acting, and all that time the virus was taking hold. Even now your polarized politics are getting in the way of effective response. You have a federal government that cares more about the stock market than the health and safety of their citizens and it is left to individual jurisdictions to decide how to respond, and they have to deal with partisan attacks and resistance to their response.

This thing is far from over, and things will likely get worse before they get better. But for now, I am going to work, risking getting infected every day in order to keep our critical infrastructure functioning properly, and on the weekend, if the weather is nice, I will reward myself with a nice sail, and maybe a bottle of wine.

If you think that makes me scum....I can live with that!

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Wonder where you think i am at?

Scum probably rarely understand they are scum and justify it away.
Why play coy? Just tell us where you are so we can take your local situation into account.

Your profile says you are in the Bahamas. Is that correct?

Your continued, repeated use of a pejorative detracts from civil discourse. Is that your intent? Are you in troll mode?

Reactions: Minnewaska

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I've deleted a few posts and closed the thread.

It will be deleted in a few days giving you enough time to work out why I deleted it.

Also I have imposed a new rule - no I have no intention of wasting the other Mods time so I havent asked - any reference to "scum" is now banned and gets you banned. Including mentioning you might have scum on the hull....

I thought it was some nice, quaint Americian terminology but it appears to be a rude attack. We dont require people to be "nice" but we sure as hell REFUSE TO HAVE ATTACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Unless its me, of course :) )

201 - 213 of 213 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.