SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm in the process of shopping for a live aboard in the 30'-36' range with price range of 10-12K. I recently expanded the search to include all of the NorthEast and not just the TX. Fl. range.

My question is this: Is there a well defined 'season' for boat turnovers? I assume there are relatively few sales made in winter, and spring is a 'sellers market' with fall being a 'buyers market'. Comments?

Also, it's my quick perception that boats may be much more affordable in the N.E. than the gulf where i have been looking. Is it true that the Yankees are emotionally unattached in comparison?

Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
You'll notice many boats up for sale for months and months and even years, repeating the same ad. That's a sign that there isn't much of a season. I would guess that if you expand your search to the NE, where weather is keeping a lot of people from their boats (Whether usage or seeing it to take pics to put up for sale) then the winter would be a slow period. Then, maybe they want to try to keep it around and use it over one last summer, and then sell it after a good wash in the fall. That's a guess though.

Good luck finding something in the $10k-$12k range and over 30' that doesn't require a lot of work to live in. As in, that's going to be hard to find.

Have you looked at Mexico and Caribbean, too? Good chances of the US sailboats and their owners who decide to ditch their dream there and sell the outfitted boat for cheap.

·
Dirt Free
2,768 Posts
Boat appraisals are a big part of my business and I have never seen one season that is better than another for buying for a whole lot of reasons.

You are already in the lowest price market in NA. Boats are generally cheaper in Texas than any other market in NA. For some reason older boats from Texas are also generally among the worst for condition.

Reactions: Scott McD

·
Registered
222 Posts
In that price range I would look local. Transport cost are high unless you drive a semi and have a trailer to haul boats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Transport cost are high unless you drive a semi
Well, actually, I was totally homeless and lived in a truck on the road for five years... (It's part of why I think a 30' boat can be comfy for me)

Besides - wherever it is, it will need to be further south before next winter. And that's what the wind and the icw are for, right? :laugher

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am from Texas myself. I would have to agree there are a great number of boats all across the state selling for pretty low. Something you might look into is boats on some of the lakes in Texas. Up near Dallas (long ways from the cost I know) but I've seen solid boats sell for low. Being out of salty air and water helps the condition a lot. Just a thought. Hope you find what you're looking for. I'm hunting for the same.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yes, anyone who is thinking of spending only $10k-$12k on a 30' boat really cannot even THINK about transporting it anywhere. The transportation costs could be half that or more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would think moving a 30-35 boat to the coast would negate any savings
The same thing had occurred to me. Nevertheless I have my craigslist search engine setup to include cities on the Tenn-Tom & great lakes. And if it's on a lake in Ga. or N.C., it might be a really cheap and a short haul, No? :confused:

Also I seem to find almost all of the cheaper, non broker boats there - not at yachtworld or one of it's derivatives.

·
Registered
585 Posts
.....and if it's on a lake in Ga. or N.C., it might be a really cheap and a short haul, No? :confused:
Define really cheap :laugher

You need to either locate someone with a C30 trailer......or find a shipper, make a cradle, maybe apply for oversized permits, pay launches on both sides, etc...

I don't think anything with a 30 ft'r is cheap....

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I'm the master of bad timing.

I bought one boat on September 7, 2001. The broker I used, told me it was the last boat he sold for nine months.

I bought another one, in Louisiana on April 10, 2010 (a few days before the Deep Horizon incident).

Waiting a couple of weeks both times would have saved me a lot of money. :D

There is no hurry right now. No one is likely to buy a boat our from under you if you take your time.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Have you also checked SailingTexas.com and SailboatListings.com? There's also Boats.com. They are great resources in addition to Craigslist, eBay, and Yachtworld. There ARE boat haulers - people with hydraulic trailers that can adjust to fit your boat. They aren't cheap, but they are a good way of transporting a boat by land. To give you an idea of what they charge, we paid $500 to have a Catalina 25 hauled from the eastern end of the northern shore of the Toms River, in NJ, to Somers Point, NJ.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Robert,
Many NC lakes do not permit liveaboards.
Mike

I suppose there are people who want to live on a lake in N.C., but I'm not one of them. The whole idea is to head south in the winter. Fer gosh sakes - it's been known to git below FREEZING in N.C. :eek:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Moving a 30' sailboat across town will run you $600 so moving one from georgia would be more like $4k. (or more) Moving sailboats ain't cheap! I know i paid handsomely. When it come to trucking the size of the boat matters little as the semi cost is the same unless they can put 2 boats on board. (or more). The best rates i saw were if you were shipping in reverse. IE. Going north in the fall and south in the spring. The trucks will cut a deal so they don't have to haul empty. So....when people are shipping the boats from the TX coast to the west coast in the spring a return trip to TX will be cheaper. (Don't know how much, if any do due to warmer west coast weather) I know that on the east coast this is the case.

As far as finding a boat i would look locally. Visit a lot of the older marinas with big storage lots. You will see lots of boats sitting around and neglected. Then locate the owner and strike a deal. A buddy of mine picked up a Cat 30 for $3k and a US Yacht 40 for $5k just by doing this. He did a lot of work to them, but, made out big time in the end.

Best of luck

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello all.

I'm in the process of shopping for a live aboard in the 30'-36' range with price range of 10-12K. I recently expanded the search to include all of the NorthEast and not just the TX. Fl. range.

My question is this: Is there a well defined 'season' for boat turnovers? I assume there are relatively few sales made in winter, and spring is a 'sellers market' with fall being a 'buyers market'. Comments?

Also, it's my quick perception that boats may be much more affordable in the N.E. than the gulf where i have been looking. Is it true that the Yankees are emotionally unattached in comparison?

Thanks
Are you "shopping" or are you prepared to buy now?

There are lots of cheap boats in FL if that's where you want to live. I don't see that boats that you are describing are affected by seasons down here. How much cheaper could they be?

The good news is that they exist. Be prepared to work on them.

Come on down!

FWIW 10-12k boats are pretty much not worth a brokers time so there won't be many on YachtWorld.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Moving a 30' sailboat across town will run you $600 so moving one from georgia would be more like $4k.
Thanks for the info. But I can see we are not quite using the same frame of reference. I intend to move aboard, immediately. I would never ship a boat cross country to get it to texas. Texas is just where I happen to be. It's not "home" After being homeless and living in a truck on the road for a few years, it changes your perspective. You learn to be at home where you are, or you're nowhere. So, any shipping that would be done would be the nearest, shortest, path to salt water access. That would generally 250 miles of less and be a one day round trip for the driver... *smile*

1 - 20 of 29 Posts