SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Just like car fax completely useless. OK thy are not useless they do help empty the wallet.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
absolutely useless....it is bad enough that the car "value" guides pretend to know about boat sales, without the "carfax" thingy coming in.

I have two cars, one a 1992 and the other a 2005, that I am the original owner and have ALL the paperwork....carfax shows 13 owners on the 1992 and 5 on the 2005. All crap.
Yes, I had a car that I bought knowing it had been totaled and fixed. I got hit by a teenager and totaled it again and bought it back from the insurance company then sold it as it was and the car fax came back "clean" last time I ran it on the car. So totaled twice and showed none.

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
The thing with car fax is it may catch some things, but lots of others it will miss. I think it gives a false sense of security. There is likely, but not certain, that there is an issue, but I feel no confidence when it says it is clean. So you can perhaps weed cars out by it, but you don't get much to go by with a positive report other than knowing they did not happen to find anything, not that there was nothing to find. And I have read of too many false negatives to really even trust that it is accurate enough to bother with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.