SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,536 Posts
Reaction score
I just bought an Acura MDX a couple of months ago. I looked around on craigslist, and using autocheck, I found the first two people had altered their odometers. Finally, I found a one owner car that had been owned locally. Other vehicles had been sold at car auctions, etc.

How is this information not helpful?

"When I was selling cars we handed out car fax's like candy. "
Yes, because most dealers buy an annual subscription so the incremental cost of any one carfax is zero. And, it makes the rubes happy. It is somewhat better than nothing--because of the reporting and record keeping regulations for cars, that aren't in place for boats.

$30? I'd rather give it to the surveyor and say "Here's something extra, please work slowly and carefully."

· Registered
2,536 Posts
Reaction score
That is exactly how it is used.

miatapaul:1650601 said:
The thing with car fax is it may catch some things, but lots of others it will miss. I think it gives a false sense of security. There is likely, but not certain, that there is an issue, but I feel no confidence when it says it is clean. So you can perhaps weed cars out by it, but you don't get much to go by with a positive report other than knowing they did not happen to find anything, not that there was nothing to find. And I have read of too many false negatives to really even trust that it is accurate enough to bother with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.