SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

boat slip needed chesapeake

9K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
looking for slip for 40' Beneteau sloop on western shore as far south as West River and as far north as Magothy. 12' Beam, Draft 4'8"

Looking to move to the slip about April 1, 09

Currently paying $6,000/year. Want to reduce this annual expense.

Thank you!

#2 ·
RE: Slip for 40' Beneteau

looking for slip for 40' Beneteau sloop on western shore as far south as West River and as far north as Magothy. 12' Beam, Draft 4'8" Looking to move to the slip about April 1, 09

Currently paying $6,000/year. Want to reduce this annual expense.
Sante,

Check out Hammock Island Marina at hammockisland dot com (sorry - don't have enough posts yet to post a direct link). It's a nice mom-n-pop place just south of Baltimore that's strictly for sailboats. I've been looking at it myself but otherwise have no connection. Bill Durr was nice enough to talk with me for half an hour or so. I was favorably impressed. In August, slip C-3 was open and I suspect it still is. At 40x14, it ought accommodate your boat nicely. This year's price is $2730. Their contract year begins in March, IIRC. Tell him DaCAP sent you - maybe it will help me get on a waiting list for a smaller slip! :D

#4 ·
Check out Maryland Yacht Club where I am...slips are 39/ ft + $2000 membership per year. Pool , Clubhouse, Rock Creek sail Potapsco when the Bay is too large. Can see eastern shore from clubhouse. Hurrican Hole and well protected. A little north of the Magothy, but worth it as it opens up so many destinations on the northern Chesapeake and only 4 hour sail to Annapolis.

If you are interested, PM me.

Dave

#6 ·
Hey Shaun we are visiting you for the winter it appears and comming out at Oak Harbor on Dec 15th. Weve had a great sail the last few weekends. I have been working Saturdays and taking off Sunday/ Monday ever since they added the Senate on to my House of Representatives responsibilities. How is school?

Hope to see you soon.

Dave

#7 ·
Chesapeake Yacht Club

If you are still looking for a new slip, I might recommend Cheaspeake Yacht Club on the West River. It can be found at chesapeakeyachtclub . com. I have been there for 30 years this August and sail a Caliber 47LRC. It meets all of your needs as noted in your post. Good luck and happy sailing!!

#8 · (Edited)
Best Rates for Sailboats on Chesapeake Bay

Gosh - I cannot believe that folks are paying $6,000 per year for a slip. I pay $1,975.00 yearly for a large slip for my C&C 35. I am only minutes from the Bay, can sail out of my slip. No bridges or powerboats to get in my way.

The marina (Old Bay Marina) is family run and they make you feel like you are part of the family. Before a race they even gave me a quick haul for free and only asked that I do not come in last! Sure -they do not have a pool or Starbucks - but I happy to be on my boat and away from that world. The marina is at the entrance to the Patapsco and the best deal on the Bay.

Dr. George Janssen C&C 35 "Nordic Nights"

#9 ·
Dr George...What are the dimensions of your slip. We are across the river from you and I am pretty sure I have seen you out on the bay. We also have a 35 C&C. Its and MKIII,,,what model year is yours?

Dave

#10 ·
Janssen,

Where do you keep your boat? Slip fees in Annapolis are astronomical. I pay over $7,000/yr for a 40-foot slip. If you go over to Mears Annapolis, the same size slip costs over $9,000, though they do offer a social club. I think Jabin's, Port A, and other Back Creek marinas are in the same ballpark price-wise.

I wouldn't mind paying less, but I do love seeing Annapolis at sunset from the water as I come home, followed by calamari at Rockfish.

#11 ·
Sante, if you're still looking for a slip, try the marinas up on Rock Creek off the Patapsco. I know it's north of your range, but prices are significantly cheaper in that area. You'll have to put up with seeing the factories of Baltimore for scenery before taking that right to head for the Bay, but you'll save a bundle.

I kept a boat at White Rocks up there for a while. The owner, John, has slowly been fixing up the place over the past few 5+ years and the water is deep in the slips.

Bodkin Creek is pretty and you don't have the factory problem as much, but if you draw more than 4', I think it can be tricky, especially in the "Back Creek" tributary. It's been a while since I've poked in there, so try and get some more expert knowledge. But that creek is closer to the Magothy than Rock Creek. Probably about an hour closer as the sailboat flies.

#13 · (Edited)
About Boat Slips

Dave, There are several C&C 35s docked in Jones Creek off of Old Road Bay at the northern side entrance to the Patapsco. Young's Boatyard is back there too and they have maybe 120 sailboats and Old Bay Marina maybe 100.

Dr. Yin races Dolce, a Red C&C 35 with the North Point Sailing Club. (Sometimes the Rock Creek sailors join North Point) Scambler a C&C 34 hot racer - hauls out at Old Bay too.
I am too old to race!

The big slips at Old Bay Marina are 14' to 20' wide and up to 50' long. They just sold two big trawlers and those large slips are open for $1,975 for the year. A slip for a 30' sailboat is $1,875 and a slip for a 27 footer is only $1,775, but if you want electric it is metered with BG&E. Cost me about $9.00 per month for electric as I only use a battery charger and a few lights and the microwave.

I hope to be out sailing on the Patapsco by early April.

George Janssen Nordic Nights C&C Mk III 1985 Dark Blue Hull

#15 ·
Chesapeake Bay Boat Slip

Chespaeake Yacht Club on the West River is worth a look. Easy access to the Bay with great destinations for day or weekend excursions- St. Michaels, Annapolis, Knapps Narrows, etc. While docked, the on site ammenities include a pool, dining room and lounge. Other restaurants are close- by car or dinghy.

#16 ·
Chespaeake Yacht Club on the West River is worth a look. Easy access to the Bay with great destinations for day or weekend excursions- St. Michaels, Annapolis, Knapps Narrows, etc. While docked, the on site ammenities include a pool, dining room and lounge. Other restaurants are close- by car or dinghy.
I spoke to some folks from CYC at the B'almore Boat Show. The folks were really nice and the Marina seems nice. We may consider moving up there next season, but would need to get the scoop on costs.

#18 ·
Chesapeake Yacht Club

As I noted in an earlier posting, I have been at Chesapeake Yacht Club for 30 years come this August. It is worth a call. I don't know the entire cost since after 25 years one becomes a life member and pays reduced fees. The great thing about CYC is that it is boating club without social memberships. So the club is for the 125 (or so) members. Can you say royal treatment? It is also a stock-held corporation, so we each have a vote in how it is run. We have a full-time manager who lives on site and who has been with us for nearly 25 years. Give a call at 301-261-5296! There are many planned cruises and activities. And, I am sure it is comparable price-wise with other marinas/clubs in the area.

#20 ·
George.

We have a 52X18 slip whic runs us $1975+ a $2000 memebership fee; With that we have pool, clubhouse. restaurant/bar. and a great view of the water and Patapsco.

Dave

#22 ·
George the answer is yes.

Our slip costs about 3900 a year for the whole year (I leave it in the water ever other year. 35 ft length finger piers.

Yes there is a 1000 thjat has to be spent in the dining room or bar area for the year, but its easy to ddo as we have a couple of crab fests. 70 dollars per couple, and other events too. This also includes any liquor.

#24 ·
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this one myself. It might be a place for us to check out, but not until they get the channel dredged. 4' at low tide with the small tidal range we get on the bay would be a major problem for us all the time, even with a shoal draft wing keel.

#25 ·
Chesapeake slip

I have signed onto Solomon Yacht Club because of their floating docks. Are there any floating dock marinas closer to Annapolis, north or south?
Thank you for any input. I am bringing a Pearson 39 down from St.Pete and up to the Chesapeake in a few weeks but thought I'd better find and tie down a spot to put it rather than waiting.
SteveK

#26 ·
Sante,

I hope you found the slip you were looking for. I dock my SV at Herrington Harbour. It's a little further south than you are looking for, but I pay less than 6,000 for a 45' foot slip. They keep 7"MLW, have a pool, fitness center, private beaches, slipholder parties and much more.

Best of luck to you.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.