SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a boat with very low ballast to displacement ratio (21.4%), but the draught is relatively deep (5'9") for its length (26'). I'm wondering if there is any way to get a sense of how stiff the boat is based on the numbers. The displacement is 3500 lbs. and the ballast is 750 lbs. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,585 Posts
While the deep draft helps, and having that weight in a deep bulb could help as well, a boat with those kind of numbers will some mix of need a lot of form stability, small sail area and/or a lot of crew weight on the rail. Form stability and crew weight only go so far, and as heel angle increases stability decreases, at some point very quickly decreases.

Jeff

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I Luff.. Why can't you just tell us the make/model of the boat?? Sigh

·
Senior Pirate
2,656 Posts
This isn't enough info. Heck, we don't even know if this boat is sloop rigged, or the mast height. How are we supposed to determine if she's tender? Was she designed as a 'round the buoys' race boat?

What are you going to do with the boat? I'll go out on a limb here and call a 3500 lb boat, a lake boat as she'll get bounced around pretty good in blue water.

·
19,488 Posts
We had a 24 footer with 700# ballast but she displaced 2500, not 3500, and drew 4 feet or so. Great fun boat to sail esp with a crew of 4, but definitely in the tender category.

As TC said, without more info or a drawing of the boat it's going to be very hard to say. Even custom boats are built and designed by somebody and usually have a 'name' attached in some way (Boat name, design name, etc) Someone might recognize either and have a better idea.

If you're in the Vancouver area I may well know of the boat.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
my boat is a bit shorter (A foot), with half the draft but twice the ballast in the same displacement. My Sea Sprite 23 Is a full keeled Alberg Design that likes to bury her rail.. if you consider the draft and where your ballast is, I am sure yours will too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts