SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time finding used boat stands. Is there a proper way to make stands out of wood? For sailboat with full keel, 8' beam, 26' long, 4' draft and approx. 6400 lbs. Using a friends dolly to get boat home. Boat would be under cover and only for 6 months. ( Famous last words.) Thanks

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It would help if you said what boat you have as someone may have made a two-part cradle for it already. When asking a question, the more information you can give, the better the answers you'll generally get.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sailingdog, Thanks. Didn't think about listing the boat, it's not one found on the West Coast. The boat is a McVay Micmac. My friend is hauling his boat in March other wise I could use his dolley. Thanks again.

·
99% landlubber, 1% sailor
140 Posts
You might consider a custom cradle for peace of mind, depending on your budget. any local welder could fab one up for you in short order if he has the steel on hand. its not rocket science.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
I would suggest that you check around at local boating clubs and marinas to see if anyone is selling a cradle that could be used for your boat. Try to get one that comes can be disassembled rather then as a welded single unit (much easier to move and store). We bought a used (one piece) cradle for our 27' boat for about $800 - it is a PITA to move without the boat in it.
A cradle will have 4 poppits (or pads) that hold the boat upright while the main weight of the boat is supported through the keel. The same concept applies with jack stands (or boat stands) - eg., weight born by the keel. For a boat your size I would suggest about six jack stands to keep it level (5 if one is used under the bow - special fitting for this).
Any marina that stores boats has a large supply of jack stands. They are not usually looking to sell them as they may be able to use them for a customer sometime soon. Some individuals own jack stands but are not likely to sell them unless they are selling their boat. Cradles are not preferred by most marina yards and therefore owned by individuals.
You could make a cradle out of heavy construction lumber (8x8, 4x4, 2x12 etc) but by the time you are done you could have bought a used cradle that will work.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yeah, I see your point... i'd recommend getting a cradle built as well. The only problem is how do you get the boat in and out of the cradle. He's bringing the boat home on a dolly...but without a travellift... getting the boat off the dolly and onto the cradle might be a neat trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look it up at Sabreyachts web site Owner Resources > Technical Support > 17. Sabre 34 cradle. They have detailed drawings how to build it yourself. Scale it down to your boat size and it might work just fine. However cost of all that wood can be as much as good used stands, unless you work for lumber yard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the information. I just looked up the page and it is similar to something a friend and my dad worked up today. My boat not being near the weight of the Sabre, we are using smaller lumber and do have access to mill cut wood/timber. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No craddle?

That's a cool picture.....but? How safe is that for working on the boat? Up and down, in and out, sanding and painting? Will the boat stand up if a
30- 40 mph wind comes down the valley. We have a few windy days coming before summer gets here. Nice looking boat, Albin Vega?, and great picture. Thanks.

·
Registered
452 Posts
That's a cool picture.....but? How safe is that for working on the boat? Up and down, in and out, sanding and painting? Will the boat stand up if a
30- 40 mph wind comes down the valley. We have a few windy days coming before summer gets here. Nice looking boat, Albin Vega?, and great picture. Thanks.
Acctually you can see many pictures like one I posted in Northern Europe. It is considered quite safe up there. As long as boat can handle it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts