SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I''m going to buy my first used sailboat this spring and I wondering whose responsibility is normally to have the survey done. Is it mine as a prospective buyer (after I submit a conditional offer) or does the owner pay for it. I''m interested in three similar boats none of which have current surveys.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dangler, If I were purchasing a boat I would hire a surveyer to do the survey for me. The surveyer then works for you and there is no question of where his loyality lies. Also in finding a surveyor check with the insurance company that you intend to use to see if they have a preference and I would also check with the lender if the boat is going to be financed. Donot user a surveyer recommended by the seller sorry if that sounds rude but it isn''t in your best interest. And remember that boats are holes in the water that we owners throw money in. That said Good luck and fair winds.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,061 Posts
It is absolutely the Buyers responsibility to hire a surveyor and pay for the survey. It only makes sense in that you want the surveyor working for you and free to talk openly about what is found. Many ethical brokers will not recommend a surveyor because they want the buyer to make an impartial decision on who to use. I strongly recommend using a NAMS or SAMS certified surveyor. Anybody, regardless of credentials, can call themselves a ''mraine surveyor''. The only way to tell if a surveyor has the necessary skills to to hire one certified by either NAMS or SAMS. There is a site with a list of Naval Architects and Marine Surveyors (NAMS) members organized by states. http://namsurveyors.org/membership/default.htm

Good luck
Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.