SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, considering the purchase of a boat on the east coast, and wanting to see if anyone has recommendations for transport from there to Lake Erie. Its a pretty large boat (48' LOA, 13.75' beam, 6.5' draft). Also considering just floating her up the Erie Canal, but that would be a pretty big time commitment I'm not sure I can make (7-10 days..if everything went perfectly..).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Brandon

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of what I'm wondering. The one quote I received (and I was clear that it was an inquiry for a boat I was considering, not one that I yet owned) was for about $6k...there's a lot that could be done for $6k.

That said, is the Erie Canal conducive to doing the move in steps? Are there places where I could, say, rent a mooring for a couple weeks where she can sit until I can take another long weekend to get her down the next leg?

Anyone had recent experience on the Canal that would suggest that the boat could be taken from Long Island Sound all the way to Lake Erie at Buffalo in a week (Saturday to the next Sunday)?

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arch- I will keep you in mind.

I don't know if we'll end up with it or not, it appears to be the right price, and it has a lot of features we like, but it is about 8 feet longer than what I was really looking for. Gonna go look at it this weekend, so we shall see. Might be able to swing a week to do it, would just have to figure out how to get to the boat where it is currently, then back home from Buffalo. We'll see what happens!

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Minne-

The more I learn and think about shipping, the more I think that it is unlikely that trucking will be a good solution for us. I've got a feeling that the boat is too tall to ship anyway. The biggest issue really will be just getting the time and crew together to get the boat up the Canal before the end of the season. (obviously assuming that when we go to see it this weekend we are still interested in it and we can come together on a price both parties are comfortable with, etc.)

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Denise-

There are, but this particular one checks off a lot of boxes for me that may make it worth the hassle of getting it to the Great Lakes.

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, everyone has convinced me: If we do end up purchasing this boat, it looks like we will be doing the Erie Canal. Probably save something like $5k+...which will go a long ways towards the inevitable refit. Thanks for all of the advice!

On to the next question: Anyone have suggestions for a good boatyard/marina between Sandusky and Toledo on Erie? One that will allow us to do work ourselves and isn't super expensive?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.