SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always maintain a boat upgrade list. These just come about when I'm on the boat when I realize I've thought to myself "it would be nice to have ......." more than once.

I wonder how others come about theirs and whether it looks anything like the things that sound worthwhile to me. So mine currently has the below items on it:

wind instrument
cabin heater
folding helm wheel
electric aft head
water maker
whisker pole
Honda generator
TV
better shower sump pump
better mattress

How many want the same items or already have them? Is there something along these lines that you have installed that worth it to you?

no longer reading SailNet
I used to keep an upgrade list, but I've done most of it so far. It is very different than your upgrade list -- my upgrades tend to be on running rigging to make the boat perform better.

Upgrades this summer were:
* new mainsheet with ratchet
* adjustable under load genoa/jib leads
* new spinnaker
* cheap/easy to remove bimini for summer cruising

Upgrades that I'm pondering:
* twings for spinnaker sheets/guys
* AIS transmit (right now I have just AIS receive)
* new spinnaker crane, re-rig my current spin halyard as a backup jib halyard

Mermaid Hunter
I always maintain a boat upgrade list. These just come about when I'm on the boat when I realize I've thought to myself "it would be nice to have ......." more than once.

I wonder how others come about theirs and whether it looks anything like the things that sound worthwhile to me.
What boat?

wind instrument - bought with boat
cabin heater - bought with boat
folding helm wheel - thought about this for a while but I just take the wheel off and tie it to the lifelines when we need the space which turns out to be rarely.
electric aft head - bought with boat; really love it.
water maker - we have 120 USG of water tankage which has done us well; we'll get a watermaker if we ever decide to cross the South Pacific
whisker pole - spinnaker pole on a track
Honda generator - in-built diesel generator - I'd get an 8kW instead of 6kW if starting from scratch.
TV - have two
better shower sump pump - important if you need on; ours has been fine from day one
better mattress - important if you don't sleep well

Barquito
My lists tend to be stuff that needs to be done to make the boat sail better, or safer. I do put stuff on the list that I know I won't get to for a while because I consider it a luxury. Some of those things drop off the list, as I realize I don't need them.

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My lists tend to be stuff that needs to be done to make the boat sail better, or safer.
Those things go onto a different list. That list stays pretty small as I do them for the most part as soon as they occur if they matter.

Bombay Explorer 44
I spend most of my time reaching so the big spi on it's pole does not see the light of day much.

I would like a light air sail on a furler though something with a little upwind capacity so maybe a code zero.

Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

I wonder how others come about theirs and whether it looks anything like the things that sound worthwhile to me. So mine currently has the below items on it:

wind instrument
cabin heater
folding helm wheel
electric aft head
water maker
whisker pole
Honda generator
TV
better shower sump pump
better mattress

How many want the same items or already have them? Is there something along these lines that you have installed that worth it to you?
The key with lists like these is like a lot of things - $$$. Some of things on your list are fairly cheap, some quite costly. Our boat came with wind, water maker, spinnaker pole, shower pump, genet and mattresses we like. We added a diesel furnace a TV. A folding wheel would be nice but it is a lot of money for the extra utility. One of hour heads was electric, I disconnected the motor - simpler seemed better. Perhaps something else for your list if you don't have it is the most reliable self-steering you can get. For offshore we are big Monitor fans but there are other good ones. If you are going for electric steering, you need serious backup possibilities.

Mermaid Hunter
One of hour heads was electric, I disconnected the motor - simpler seemed better.
In my opinion the electric conversions (which is what yours sounds like) are nothing like the as-designed electric toilets. We like sitting on a garbage disposal. *grin*

Registered
Hishest priority on that list for me would be the whisker/downwind pole... I can't understand how people go cruising without one...

Never ceases to amaze, how many boats I get on that either lack a pole, or have one that has obviously never been put to use...

That's what the engine is for, I guess... :)

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting in that to me in the total picture of cruising the most important item on the list is the better mattress!

Reactions: capta

Master Mariner
We'd really like to get away from the electric cooking. But what's the point of that, if we've still got 110vac refrigeration? So now, we're talking about a 12v refer system, but then we'd need a second battery bank to about double our capacity. With that much more battery amperage. it'd be nice to have 24 hour charging, so a windgen would be the logical addition to our 20 amp solar array.
Adding it all together, that's around 10 g's for the convenience of gas cooking. How much diesel is 10g's? At my age would it actually save us any money, before I croak or have to sell the boat because of physical problems? Actually, it works out to about 6 years to break even, possibly 7.
I met one guy who built himself a 50 odd foot motor sailor, but never rigged it. In his words, "70 grand for mast, rigging, winches and sails is a whole lot of diesel fuel, and I don't even know how to sail." He's right here cruising just like everybody else and I believe, in the 4 years of doing so that we've known him, he's still way ahead of the game, financially.

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

wind instrument
cabin heater
folding helm wheel
electric aft head
water maker
whisker pole
Honda generator
TV
better shower sump pump
better mattress

And another question; on the above which do you think is the best use of funds for a cruising life (which is different than a sailing life)? I think it is the mattress and the heater (if in an area that it is cold as life is just not good if cold all the time).

Registered
And another question; on the above which do you think is the best use of funds for a cruising life (which is different than a sailing life)? I think it is the mattress and the heater (if in an area that it is cold as life is just not good if cold all the time).
Seems curious that so many today tend to separate "sailing" from "a cruising life", but perhaps that's just me :) The chance to 'go sailing' is one of my prime motivations to 'go cruising', but that's obviously not the case for many others out there these days... Different strokes, as always...

Tough to answer, as these things can be so subjective... For example, we have no idea how uncomfortable your present mattress might actually be, so I'd have to sleep on it to give an honest answer. Apparently, since it's still on your list as a potential future upgrade, it can't be all THAT bad, and is probably still better than the one I sleep on at home :)

So, if your list had included instead "a better whisker pole" along with "a better mattress", my answer might have been quite different, and I probably would have leaned more towards the latter...

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems curious that so many today tend to separate "sailing" from "a cruising life", but perhaps that's just me :)
Really, you don't understand the difference between going sailing and cruising? I've been sailing for 6 years and normally stay on the boat from Friday night till Sunday afternoon during the season, plus a week long sailing/cruising trip. Currently my time on the boat is probably 20-30% sailing and the rest stopped and basically living on the boat. Once cruising life starts I expect the percent of time stopped and in port to greatly increase.

Cruising boats are about a place to live more than something to sail.

Mermaid Hunter
Jon hit the answer spot on. We don't know what you have now.

However, in the absence of other information, being well rested and warm are pretty important ...

Administrator
I am in the midst of spending a huge wad of money on one new thing for the boat... But its the same as a $20 new thing: its worth the money if it vastly improves my life aboard.

So look at those things on everyones upgrade list and ask that question.

For a multi year cruise a water maker means you can have a propper shower every day of the week. You can spot the cruisers without watermakers by looking at the inside of their elbows where the grime of a few days builds up. Yep that sounds yukky... And it is. I would love a watermaker but cant afford one... But I do have a daily shower using water saving methods... But would love a loooong one every day :)

A good mattress on a boat is terrific because boat bed bases are wood. Hard wood. Might be ment to be good for your back with a brick as a pillow but splurge on a good mattress. Maybe some factory could cut down an inner spring mattress for your bed?

Mark

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jon hit the answer spot on. We don't know what you have now.

However, in the absence of other information, being well rested and warm are pretty important ...
My current mattress isn't that bad currently. It is an inner spring mattress that I have a 2" memory foam topper on. I sleep on it pretty close as well as my home mattress, but I don't really sleep all that soundly at home. It doesn't really matter what I currently have, all that matters is the importance of good sleep!

We fly our a-chute as much as possible on longer trips (common for us to be the only shorthanded (my wife and I) boat around with it up), but would never consider a whisker pole to fly it more as more important than good sleep.

Old soul
As our current year cruise comes to an end my list consists of radar, another mid-range foresail, another 100 watts or so of solar, and a bimini (which could be made of solar panels ... Still working on that). Whisker pole is absolutely essential!

Why go fast, when you can go slow

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As our current year cruise comes to an end my list consists of radar, another mid-range foresail, another 100 watts or so of solar, and a bimini (which could be made of solar panels ... Still working on that). Whisker pole is absolutely essential!
So you would get a whisker pole before the solar and bimini? What experience has led you to this choice?

I have a bimini and 290W solar, but would get another 290W panel way before getting a Honda generator let alone a whisker pole that most cruiser just store on their deck looking nice.

Old soul
So you would get a whisker pole before the solar and bimini? What experience has led you to this choice?

I have a bimini and 290W solar, but would get another 290W panel way before getting a Honda generator let alone a whisker pole that most cruiser just store on their deck looking nice.

Absolutely. Perhaps it's not as important on your boat, but on my old cruisers a whisker pole can mean the difference between sailing along nicely vs having a collapsing floppy foresail and knocking any speed down to near nil. I've never sailed a boat that didn't have a whisker pole. Would be odd...

And to be clear, we have one on board, and use it quite regularly.

I would love to have that much solar, but with our old double-ender it's hard to find space that isn't often shaded. I'm running two 50 watt panels right now in parallel so I usually have at least one exposed. I'm thinking of building a bimini made just of panels (attached to a simple frame). Figure they would shade my Celtic head as well as sunbrella.

Why go fast, when you can go slow

1 - 20 of 27 Posts