SailNet Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
7,716 Posts
A whisker pole you can make yourself ... Buy two pole ends FORESPAR Ultra Series Spinnaker Pole Ends | West Marine

Buy from an trade depot a length of 2 inch alum pole... They come in 22 foot lengths, or something like that, for about $80 if i remember,

Chop off end 6 feet.

Whack on two ends.

Tie piece of string to both ends.

Bloody simple!

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Don, you have to remember that most extended cruising is, by plan, off the wind. A whisker pole will get a lot of use. We have our boat's old spinnaker pole which is stored on the mast thank goodness. It is a real load 17' long and 5" section. Would I like a nice new carbon fibre pole? You bet, but it has never risen up the list of needs of a need vs dollar basis. If I did not have the old pole we would have bought the proper one. We fly our asymmetric during daylight hours but have not flown it at night yet and probably won't. It is very big and I could imagine a bunch of bad stuff happening at night. Coming through the ITCZ off Brazil we got into an odd routine. During the day we had the asym up on starboard tack. At night we had the poled out genoa on port tack (left the pole up during the day and just rolled up the sail).

I am sorry, I either missed or have forgotten, what kind of boat do you?

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Really, you don't understand the difference between going sailing and cruising?
Yeah, you could be right, I likely don't have a freakin' clue as to the essential distinction between "going sailing", and "going cruising"... :)

Cruising boats are about a place to live more than something to sail.
Well, that certainly appears to be truer with each passing year. And, therein lies the rub, and the primary reason why so many cruisers I see are motoring more, and sailing less...

We fly our a-chute as much as possible on longer trips (common for us to be the only shorthanded (my wife and I) boat around with it up), but would never consider a whisker pole to fly it ...
I'd never consider flying my spinnaker from my whisker pole, either...

At least, not unless I was attempting to break it... :)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
A whisker pole you can make yourself ... Buy two pole ends FORESPAR Ultra Series Spinnaker Pole Ends | West Marine

Buy from an trade depot a length of 2 inch alum pole... They come in 22 foot lengths, or something like that, for about $80 if i remember,

Chop off end 6 feet.

Whack on two ends.

Tie piece of string to both ends.

Bloody simple!
Or, even simpler...

REBEL HEART's bamboo whisker pole:

Rebel Heart - Eric's Blog - the bamboo whisker*pole

I'm guessing that one didn't work out so well... :)

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Have those plastic snap together thingies under the mattress. They make a world of difference. Another advantage is some air under mattress.
Running engine or genset means fuel costs but also maintenance costs and time. Also ride is better with sails up. When setting up boat a priority was ability to run the thing by myself. I'm 60+ uncoordinated and lazy. So have the cf pole for reaching/running,the electric head ( manual forward), hydronic heat etc. dry,warm and rested means safety I think this is just as important as rafts sat phones etc.. Will put in water maker when funds allow but for now have 200g so do shower every other day. That way can take a long shower.
Don't get the point about sailing v. cruising . For straight creature comforts get a motor boat and stay plugged in. However I couldn't afford the fuel cost of snow birding even to FLA on a stinkpot whereas I can snowbird to eastern Caribbean on a sail boat.

·
Administrator
7,716 Posts
Killarney, a 5 inch section is huge. Can one person lift it?

Mine is 2 inches. Heres a video of it in 25-30, and the day before was up to 45.

It did fine. Its done about 5,000 nms now. I didnt have it for the pacific leg and was sorely missed!

By the way, Don has a light boat under 10 tons.

·
bell ringer
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I had a spinnaker pole on my Cal-39 that had a sym chute. After dealing with it I had to almost take a nap. So if someone is suggesting one of those big ass poles just to pole out my a-chute you can just forget it. I will just sail off the wind more.

But we are thread lost on this stupid pole issue! If I really saw a big need for it over the other items I would move it up. And maybe someday it's priority will change due to a change in sailing needs.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts