SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to go over my "new" boat with an overall wash to clean her hull and deck after she has sat in the yard for a couple of years. I need to remove normal dirt and grime plus the green slimey stuff. I was just going to start with Dawn in a strong solution. Simple Green is a good one, but what about just plain ammonia in water? Any thing else I should consider for this kind of cleaning? I plan to do some cosmetic work on the hull and then polish and wax before I put her in the water for the first time.
Mike

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
I've not found anything that works better than a pressure washer. Just be careful around decals and don't over do it when washing any wooden parts. Be judicious around hatches and ports too, unless you're really trying to make them leak. A good pressure washing of the deck will remove most droppings, dirt, crud, soot, air polutants, etc.

MGM

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I less favor the pressure wash, but it can be efficient. It makes a great difference as to the source of the dirt or stain. For example, if you have the tannin stains that come with having the boat in an area with a lot of fresh water plant debris; then, no pressure washing will help, but you'll need a mild and diluted acid wash like oxalic or phosphoric (similar to the "On Off" fiberglass cleaner. If it's just airborne particulates, then the "simple green" or your "greener" ammonia wash would suit. Grease or tar marks might require a spot cleaning with acetone, but don't let it touch your ploycarbonate (lexan) portlights. Spray on wax cleaners like "Pledge" excel for cleaning the acrylic windscreen on a bimini top. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.