SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I would look at this as another attempt at selling the boat for what it would sell for at the dealer any how. What does it cost the dealer to put an add on ebay? nothing! so what the hay, if it sells sooner here than doing normal adds, he gains! Along with more potential buyers. some folks do not like the make offer, counter offer, make another offer bs that goes on in dealers offices, so bidding on ebay is easier etc.

I suppose it is possible that this could be a last ditch effort by the dealer, but in reality, smart move on there part frankly! As you say, if this was next spring, you'd be on it like flies on sheet! You noticed it did you not???!?!?

Marty

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would look at this as another attempt at selling the boat for what it would sell for at the dealer any how. What does it cost the dealer to put an add on ebay? nothing! so what the hay, if it sells sooner here than doing normal adds, he gains! Along with more potential buyers. some folks do not like the make offer, counter offer, make another offer bs that goes on in dealers offices, so bidding on ebay is easier etc.

I suppose it is possible that this could be a last ditch effort by the dealer, but in reality, smart move on there part frankly! As you say, if this was next spring, you'd be on it like flies on sheet! You noticed it did you not???!?!?

Marty
You're right about the dealer part, I would rather send them a check and arrange the boat to be shipped up here than deal with that BS. The ad says Hunter is selling the boat, not the dealer. So maybe the dealer went under, or lost their franchise, it's an odd add and Hunter didn't bother to get the specs right, they just used the specs from the European version which has a 9hp saildrive. The US version has a 14hp same as the regular version.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
It could be an European version that got over here accidently, or the dealer over there BK'd. or they built one to many, or this is the european demo/add model, and with no plans to take it over there, sell it here, local dealers do not want it, so they're selling on ebay..............way too many options as to why Hunter is selling it.

I do not see the red flags you are seeing I guess, other than the flag red hull of the boat for sale.

Marty

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
it could also be a scam...the seller has 0 feedback and is brand new to eBay as of this month. My money is that it is a scam. the photos are pretty generic and could be from anywhere.

Also consider, Hunter Marine is based in Florida, so why would they be selling a boat owned by them in NEW JERSEY???

Contact Hunter Marine Corporation
Route 441, Post Office Box 1030
Alachua, Florida USA 32616
Phone (Wihtin the US): 386-462-3077
Phone (International): +1 386-462-3077
Fax: 386-462-4077

I bet if you call Hunter Marine and ask them about their eBay account and this boat for sale, they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone's going to get an ok deal...if it sells at Buy it Now, its about a 7-8% discount but this is a barebones boat (tiller steering on a 27'?!)

Overall, a tremendously bad sign...if no dealer would be willing to take it onto floorplan, that says something about their expectations in 09.
I'm not sure where you are getting the 7-9%, the math off the top of my head is more like 40%. This is also NOT a barebones boat, it is a Hunter 27X, use google and search for more info on this model before posting misleading info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I stopped by the local Hunter dealer (NBPT, MA) a couple weeks ago. If you bought a 40' or larger, you got a free Toyota Prius.:)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it could also be a scam...the seller has 0 feedback and is brand new to eBay as of this month. My money is that it is a scam. the photos are pretty generic and could be from anywhere.

Also consider, Hunter Marine is based in Florida, so why would they be selling a boat owned by them in NEW JERSEY???

Contact Hunter Marine Corporation
Route 441, Post Office Box 1030
Alachua, Florida USA 32616
Phone (Wihtin the US): 386-462-3077
Phone (International): +1 386-462-3077
Fax: 386-462-4077

I bet if you call Hunter Marine and ask them about their eBay account and this boat for sale, they'll have no idea what you're talking about.
I called Hunter, not a scam, real deal. BTW, you forgot to list their 800 number. 1-800-771-5556.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
something isn't all here...if I was a hunter dealer in the NJ area, I'd be pissed they are undercutting my sale by 40%. manufacturers have franchise rules to follow. they cannot legally sell direct if they have a franchise agreement in the area. there is probalby more than one hunter dealer in NJ.

Maybe its the euro version that lets them do this. perhaps the boat missed the boat to europe and they are stuck with it in NJ.

something doesn't add up.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Boatbuilders are in trouble, and I am not talking about just Hunter. First the huge rise in petroleum products made it difficult to sell their products at a profit, then the economical collapse kept anyone from buying their stuff at all.

My guesss is that you will see massive bancruptcies from many, many builders. When the dust clears from all of this, there will not be nearly as many boat builders around anymore.

My opinions,

- CD

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
something isn't all here...if I was a hunter dealer in the NJ area, I'd be pissed they are undercutting my sale by 40%. manufacturers have franchise rules to follow. they cannot legally sell direct if they have a franchise agreement in the area. there is probalby more than one hunter dealer in NJ.

Maybe its the euro version that lets them do this. perhaps the boat missed the boat to europe and they are stuck with it in NJ.

something doesn't add up.
I just called them, they are selling it, it's a US model, there are two Hunter dealers in NJ both owned by the same company. The dealer is going out of business and Hunter is repoing the boats. I also asked about shipping and payment and he said that they will ship the boat on one of their contracted delivery trucks, and you can pay COD, so no scam, legit deal, I'm actually going to talk seriously to my CFO about this (my wife).

If anyone else is interested call Hunter and go to extension 3629, I talked to Greg Emerson, dealer rep for the northeast, nice guy.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I called Hunter, not a scam, real deal. BTW, you forgot to list their 800 number. 1-800-771-5556.
Very cool... Good luck with the discussions with the CFO... ;)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I just called them, they are selling it, it's a US model...
So I guess they posted the wrong (euro) specs initially?

This sounds like a good opportunity if you are seriously in the market for this boat.

P.S. Stop telling everyone about it - you don't want competition in the bidding!!:D :D

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm not sure where you are getting the 7-9%, the math off the top of my head is more like 40%. This is also NOT a barebones boat, it is a Hunter 27X, use google and search for more info on this model before posting misleading info.
Apologies, I ran the wrong online info query...I'll edit my comments.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not too worry boat builders will declare themselves banks and get ALL the money they want from the govt and keep boats at record prices along with huge bonues for all the executives! What a country!! Just dont be a poor working stiff in it! :((
turf

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Boatbuilders are in trouble, and I am not talking about just Hunter. First the huge rise in petroleum products made it difficult to sell their products at a profit, then the economical collapse kept anyone from buying their stuff at all.

My guesss is that you will see massive bancruptcies from many, many builders. When the dust clears from all of this, there will not be nearly as many boat builders around anymore.

My opinions,

- CD

Dont forget the collapse of leverage. Every state of the boat process is just leverage on top of leverage.

Boat builder gets new ovens for epoxy bottoms...leverage/debt
Boat builder buys materials...leverage/debt
Boat builder arranges floorplan financing for dealers...leverage/debt
Dealer tries selling to individuals...more leverage/debt

Except when the dealer misses payments on his floorplan financing since he/she cant unload a few 27 footers (that still are ~90k)...and viola, you have a bankruptcy due to $300k in missed payments...and the whole thing collapses.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I'd look into what warantee support you'll get.
I wonder what the hunter dealer in your neighborhood will say about your purchase? Maybe nothing. Some dealers are less keen on helping out a buyer that didn't buy from them. Some dealers just suck, period!
Ask hunter if you can get warantee work done by an independant repair shop paid for by hunter. this will be especially important if there is no hunter dealer within 50 miles of you.

I wonder if this is the only boat they are taking back from the NJ store? Doubt it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts