SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving past one of my favorite boat store haunts Friday and saw the dreaded signs.

Their holding company got into trouble and put them up for auction. They were snapped up quickly by a liquidator. Really unfortunate since they were profitable. If there is one near you there are fire-sale bargains to be had. I spent too much this weekend. The only boat store left in town is West Marine. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
515 Posts
Boaters world was one of two stores that I felt were worth driving down 28th for, The other is woodcraft in the same building.
Woodcraft is actually the reason I started going there in the first place, I could pick up just about everything I needed for a boat project in one stop.

May have to take a run out there this week to see if there's anything I can't live without

Ken.

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woodcraft is nice. Great toystore. I hear also that Woodsource on 29th has closed.

Clearly, We are in each other's backyards. I am on the hard at Torresen Marint in Muskegon. Check out my gallery. Drop in if you are in the neighborhood. Look for the Maize & Blue hull with the block M on the keel. (sometime after the snow, rain, blizzards etc. pass.) I was out there last weekend and there is still a glacier behind the stern.

Maybe you can give me some advise on new splash rails and toe rails.

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did manage to spend about 0.6 kilobucks at the sale. Lake Michigan chart set, lots of useful books, slicker, several pairs of deck shoes, foul weather boots, lines, chart table equipment for navigation the old way, paint. I need to stay away. If a hard-bottom hypalon dink for a 15 HP shows up I'm in trouble.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
28th street. Brings back memories. I lived on Burton when I was a kid, in this house
View Larger Map

Maybe not. When I pasted the embed text, it showed the wrong house. weird.

Edit again. OK figured it out. Grab the image and do a 180, it's the brick house. BTW, I haven't lived in that house since 6th grade.

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice pet. Looks like you are giving us all the bird. We travel with two standard poodles. They both love to sail. I can't get my Tornado Cat off the beach without them. Turns out poodles don't float so jackets for both.

I was in Traverse City this weekend for the latest big snow. 6 last night & maybe 8 today. Boaters World is there too. Spent more money. If you need cruising charts there are some bargains. I think all nav charts are less 30%.

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
I am in Maryland, just South of NappTown. I heard about Boater's World and went by the first weekend of the "sale". The place was a zoo and the prices weren't that great. They were 10% off of what looked like list. I left with nothing except a Spinsheet (free regional sailing rag).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Employees at the Mamaroneck, N.Y., Boaters World report that would-be customers are starting to take items they want off their proper shelf and squirrel them away in obscure locations in the store. Their intent, I guess, is to come back in a couple of weeks when the 10% Off signs change to 60% Off.

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
our local Boater's World had a lot of items at 30 off on the first day. I've been selective in my frenzy but noticed that a lot of things I had my eye on have disappeared. All charts and the like were 30 off or more. I've picked stuff I know we must have to pass USCG and for Great Lakes navigation. Found a few stocking stuffers. I am waiting for a few choice items to drop as well. I don't know about the on-line store. They only show list prices and no mention of the closing.

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found out the on-line store is neglected & dead. There is no mention of the store closing. Store clerks say the warehouses are being emptied into the stores & on-line is non-functional. They are seeing some stuff that hasn't been around for a while. I picked up four of those big bulky class I PFDs the CG requires for offshore.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I stopped in at the local Boater's World today, they are here until June 21. I picked up a few cleaning supplies and a horn but that's about it. I was looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 545. They have them in stock. On the shelf below it is a sticker saying it is priced at $999, which I believe is list. There is a sign stating that all electronics are 10% off "the original price" whatever that means.

Anyhow, that made th Garmin 545 $900 + 7% sales tax. I have seen the same unit, brand new and returnable, listed online for $750 + 0% sales tax + $14 shipping.

So as others here have said, a closing sale does not mean a bargain, or even a good price.

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree on the electronics. Last year's models at list price. You can definitely do better on line. Those items have not moved much from the Grand Rapids shelves. I almost bought Epoxy needed to re-build my rudder but checked first at West. All considered it was a savings at BW of 10 pr gallon. I checked on line last night and found an E-Bay store selling low viscisity marine epoxy in bulk for 35 a gallon. Even with a hefty shipping fee it was a comparitive steal. I bought 6 yards of 19 oz carbon fiber twill and 4 gallons of epoxy.

I still have my eye on a couple of BW items - waiting for the next reduction.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I bought 6 yards of 19 oz carbon fiber twill and 4 gallons of epoxy
19 oz is very heavy cloth.

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its a really big rudder. The blade is 35 wide and 70 inches tall. Shaft is 2-1/2 diameter SS. The leading edge is 6" diameter built up over the shaft. The original skin was over 1/2 inch thick with two layers of Kevlar built in. It was delaminating and the interior was water-soaked and moldy. I figure I will get four layers of 0.023 carbon with the 6 yards. There are some photos in My gallery. NICHOLSON58 http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=159746

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I am up to about 2 kilobucks now. We bought lots of maps & Charts for the Great Lakes to the East Coast by St Lawrence. Type I Offshore Life jackets and auto inflate as well. There was a lot of 3M adhesive product, VHF antenna for 29.00. We also bought slickers for ourselves and four extras for guests. With my 9-5E feet I buy any shoe that fits and I found a bunch at 19 a pair. I found 1000 feet of messenger line I will use on the masts. My new grand daughter gets the Barbie fishing rod. I found a "how to tie knots" ages 8 & up for my wife - a bank breaker at 85 cents.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
That Garmin 545 finally dropped below what the online cost would be, so I grabbed it. I'm sure many of you saw my Garmin rant, but that has nothing to do with BW.

A new store opened here called Boaters Edge. They have a pretty small stock, but their prices are okay and they are nice people.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wanted to buy an auto lifejacket, but there were none in any of the stores..

The line sale is ridiculous though.. 70% off stay-setX.. for our smaller lines that's .30 a foot !!

Just as an FYI - that has nothing to do with anything.. BW had $40m worth of stock (wholesale) on their shelves, and a "liquidation company" bought the lot for $14m.. so even if they sold their stock at 50% of wholesale, they would be making a fantastic profit.. (the VHF that was $199 retail marked down to $179 hardly qualifies..) but it might get down to that point. (I have yet to see any sailing hardware in the stores, it seems to have disappeared )

ahhh.. i didn't like em anyway, more of a WM guy..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.