SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
say it isn't so...come sail here on Long Island sound as some "try" to
sail thru Thanksgiving into early Dec. and a few thru the winter.
...but not so much last winter.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Screw that.

NOAA is now saying that the south will have a cooler winter, north will have a warmer winter, and the mid-atlantic has an equal chance either way. I'm keeping my boat in, and keeping the anti-freeze handy for re-winterization.

I'm sure I'll be sailing well into winter.

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
I'm also on the hard.

Winterizing the diesel and wet systems this weekend.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,326 Posts
Staying in again this year, going to leave everything ready to go but will winterize the fresh water system and engine. Last year didn't work out so well in Maryland as we got clobbered with snow (for Maryland anyways). Mostly due to the fact that the creek was pretty frozen over. Some folks were Iceboat sailing on the Magothy last winter! That's not common.

Hoping to sail until the end of December, then probably semi shut it down but not enough that if that nice January or February day comes we can go out. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Boat is scheduled for haul out Oct 30th.:( Insurance requires a Nov 1st haulout. Looking to get a couple more weekend sails in this weekend and next. We have a 14' sailboat that we leave by the dock and try to sail on a few nice winter days. Did not happen last winter, but the winter before we had some great winter sails in our bay. The only time we use this boat is when the big boat is on the hard.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
I'm VERY tempted to stay in, but I haven't had the best of luck so far. I'm hoping for a warm winter to give me more time to work on her and get her "ship-shape" for next season. Then I can (hopefully) spend more time sailing and enjoying her. I'll probably look to be hauled toward the end of the month.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Our lake turns solid every winter, even if only for a few days. Last year ice was on until mid-april, nearly delaying marina dock installation (yep they pull the docks out like carpet)...

I have approximately 9 days left. I JUST purchased this boat too, and lost probably 1.5 months between boats. My fault, I trusted boat sellers to be honest about their boats, my initial thought was I'd actually own 2 boats for a while there... that didn't happen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just came out this week. It's been unusually warm for October up here in Nova Scotia but we know it is coming. Lots of winter projects on the list already.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Hey,

I'm going sailing tomorrow. The weather should be great to spend a few hours on the water.

This year my boat will stay in the water at the local club. The water almost never freezes (it didn't last year). It's MUCH cheaper to spend the off season in the water. I don't plan on sailing, but at least I will be able to get on my boat, do some interior work and general cleaning and think about of the trips I would like to make in 2015.

Barry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts