SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a late 70s j/30. I like the j/30 because the length is perfect, my slip can't go longer. I want a boat I can cruise the lake with my family. I want to club race and we have a lot of light air in the summer when most of the regattas are and I want a boat that does well in light air. The idea price would be about $15,000 us or less :) althought the j/30 tends to be more :(

Can anyone else think of a similar boat that I should consider that will fit these parameters.

Thank you in advance!!!

·
19,485 Posts
Not sure what area you're in, but the Aloha 30 is another frac rigged lightweight boat (Ron Holland design), the Laser 28 (Farr) is a bit smaller but also of the frac/light school. Both could provide the things you seek - though perhaps slightly above your "ideal" budget.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
You might also look at the J29, Jeanneau Arcadia or Attalia too. Beneteau first 28/30 are a couple of others that might work.

Marty

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The J/29 as I understand it is a similar boat to the j/30 with a lower cabin top and no inboard diesel (lighter)

As I have the family cruising requirement I think the j/30 would be closer to what I was looking for but the other I will look into.

Thank you for the suggestions!!

·
19,485 Posts
The J/29 as I understand it is a similar boat to the j/30 with a lower cabin top and no inboard diesel (lighter)
Yes, the J29 is a lower freeboard version of the J30 hull, different deck and was offered in a masthead and a frac version. Not really a family cruiser, esp compared to her predecessor.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Would you consider a Tartan 30?

One of the things I like about the T30 is that some of them were configured with twin (port/starboard) quarterberths, which I think is a nice arrangement for family sailing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
J/30 isn't really known as a light air boat, but all things are relative. It depends on what kind of boats you're racing against. They get killed by lighter boats with higher SA/D ratios in very light air. They do well in 15 and above. But they have a pretty unbalanced rudder and in those conditions it can take a strong driver or two hands on the tiller to keep tracking. I suspect that any J/30 you find under $15k will be in need of some recoring, particularly around the transom and starboard rear quarter, and deck around the chainplates. I really like the J/30 interior.

You can get a great Tartan 30 for $15k, and they are very nice boats. However, in my area you wouldn't find anyone to race against in that rating band (~168), except J/24's, which are a totally different type of boat. I was looking for something similar to your needs and ended up with a Laser 28.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Pearson Flyer. Though only made for a couple years, there's always a couple out there for sale. Like the article says, it has "Undeniable appeal."

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Two other choices:

Cal 9.2 - better cruising ammenities and cheaper than J30 but rates slower (PHRF about 172)

Frers 30 - good cruising ammenties but more expensive and rates a bit faster (PHRF about 129)

Forget the J29 if headroom below is an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts