SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can think of a few. I mean they all do some extent but not like a Flicka. Is there a model of a big builder that has any? Maybe the hunter Cherubini? Those get talked about a lot.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,779 Posts
Kind of already mentioned but anything designed by
Robert Perry
William Crealock
Lyle Hess

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about the Robert Perry thought. My friends boat is a Mirage 35 designed by Perry, I don;t think it has any cult following beyond current owners.

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Flickas might be about the most extreme example.

Can think of a few others;
SCAMP. 12 feet, I have never scene one under $10k. Wood or fibreglass.

Bay Hens and Peep Hens.

Dovekie.

Valiant 40

Some Bolger boats.

They have to be a bit hard to get your hands on to behave a cult following I think?

·
Administrator
9,270 Posts
I guess I would ask 'what do you mean by cult boats? To me the term applies to boats that have a better reputation than they deserve or demand higher prices than they should realtive to other similar quality boats.
Under that definition, I would consider the Alberg 30, Triton, Tartan 37, Folkboat, Nonsuch, J-37, J-40, Bristol 32, 39 &40, Norsea 27, Island Packets, Pacific Seacrafts, IOR era Swans, Cal 34s, Ericson 32 & 34 come to mind.

Jeff

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
To me the term applies to boats that have a better reputation than they deserve or demand higher prices than they should realtive to other similar quality boats.
Interesting perspective that hadn't crossed my mind. I looked up a definition of "Cult" and came up with this:

"A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing. "

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Interesting perspective that hadn't crossed my mind. I looked up a definition of "Cult" and came up with this:

"A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing. "
Interesting. Didn't know misplaced was part of the equation. Just thought cult meant strong following amongst a small group.

I would completely change my list based on this definition.

·
Barquito
3,566 Posts
"Misplaced" is complicated. I think a lot of people have an out-of-proportion desire for a certain boat. The cult boats are just the ones that have more of those folks than other boats. I drank the Kool-Aid with my Valiant 32.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
For purposes of this thread, let's allow boats that (at least partly) live up to the adoration of their fans.

If I could start putting $500-1000 a month down on a Norsea now I would, even if I could not take possession for years.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
For purposes of this thread, let's allow boats that (at least partly) live up to the adoration of their fans.

If I could start putting $500-1000 a month down on a Norsea now I would, even if I could not take possession for years.
Take out a loan, 5% 10 years, $34,500 monthly payments $365. Oh guess who has a Nor'sea for sale for 34,500 (OBO)!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Take out a loan, 5% 10 years, $34,500 monthly payments $365. Oh guess who has a Nor'sea for sale for 34,500 (OBO)!
Unfortunately not an option for me.

At say average $750/mo from income/savings, that's $8000 a year going into acquisition costs, that I could handle,

but I'd want that burden to stop long before ten years out.

Not saying your price is not good "market" value, just out of my personal range ATM.

If me and the kids could move into it, in a decent-schools low-Covid location, that would free up $1500 currently going into monthly housing costs.

And I'm able-bodied and reasonably intelligent, any safe employment prospects would greatly add to the kitty, let me pay it down much sooner.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Dana up there with Flicka?

Cornish Crabber, authentic old Folkboats?

Some of the other Bristols, besides the Channel Cutter for example 27 but not 26. 29?

some Cape Dory

Islanders, Pacific Seacraft, Vancouver, more generally

1 - 20 of 52 Posts