SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,770 Posts
West Wight Potter 19 possibly?
I was going to mention Potters but according to someones posting they have to be hard to come by to be a cult boat, Potters are everywhere. I think they are a cult boat for some and a 'gateway boat' for others. Buy one to check out sailing then move up in the world.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Well for such a common boat they do really hold their value.

When examples of a model get 20-30+ years worn, fetching consistently high prices must be supported by a good reputation maintained by a solid fan base

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I guess I would ask 'what do you mean by cult boats? To me the term applies to boats that have a better reputation than they deserve or demand higher prices than they should realtive to other similar quality boats.
Under that definition, I would consider the Alberg 30, Triton, Tartan 37, Folkboat, Nonsuch, J-37, J-40, Bristol 32, 39 &40, Norsea 27, Island Packets, Pacific Seacrafts, IOR era Swans, Cal 34s, Ericson 32 & 34 come to mind.

Jeff
This makes perfect sense... A cult is different than a reasoned well deserved reputation. The boats mentioned do have reputations... cult followers are irrational in their adoration.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,991 Posts
I guess I would ask 'what do you mean by cult boats? To me the term applies to boats that have a better reputation than they deserve or demand higher prices than they should realtive to other similar quality boats.
Under that definition, I would consider the Alberg 30, Triton, Tartan 37, Folkboat, Nonsuch, J-37, J-40, Bristol 32, 39 &40, Norsea 27, Island Packets, Pacific Seacrafts, IOR era Swans, Cal 34s, Ericson 32 & 34 come to mind.

Jeff
With that criteria, I'd say J24. People still pay good money for them, despite them being over 30 years old, and most of them with soggy cores. Sailed against one, during the race the entire stanchion pulled out of the deck, lifeline still attached exposing the soggy core. Owners duct-taped a piece of cardboard over it, and kept racing that season. These boats routinely sell for thousands of dollars, more than their better built, newer, faster kindred boats. I get it, one design.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,770 Posts
Well for such a common boat they do really hold their value.

When examples of a model get 20-30+ years worn, fetching consistently high prices must be supported by a good reputation maintained by a solid fan base
Yes they do hold their value. I own a Potter 34 (a 19 and 15). I spent a total of $4400 for the two. When I go to sell them, it might be the first time I will profit from my sailing vice.

·
Master Mariner
8,671 Posts
I was going to say the Joshuas, but by the definition of cult "A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing." there is nothing misplaced or excessive about their reputation, IMO.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
For purposes of this thread, we are allowing boats that (at least partly) actually deserve the adoration of their fans.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Concordia yawls have a cult following.

As do Hinckley B-40's.

Sure, this owner adoration is irrational to a degree, but many of the owners are avid sailors and use the boats more than the average.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I like that Meadowlark in the picture. Way back in the early 80's we saw one of those when we were cruising our little Ranger 20 up by Bainbridge Island. The Meadowlark was under power, and the putt-putt-putt of the one cylinder engine was just marvelous.
:)
If the definition is more toward a design highly desired or prized by a smaller group.... How about a Valiant 40? It certainly deserves the accolades.
And I must add our design. Only 39 were built. Olson 34 (constructed by Ericson Yachts.)
Agree with the vote for the Ericson 32-2. Any of the three iterations of the Ericson 38, as well.

No really wrong answers as we wile away the days and hours, inside where the Covid virus cannot get us!

Reactions: jephotog

·
Registered
Herreshoff/Vaitses Meadowlark
17 Posts
I like that Meadowlark in the picture. Way back in the early 80's we saw one of those when we were cruising our little Ranger 20 up by Bainbridge Island. The Meadowlark was under power, and the putt-putt-putt of the one cylinder engine was just marvelous.
The original Meadow Lark design, as published in Herreshoff's book in 1948, was 33', wood, and powered by a pair of five horse, single cylinder engines. Of course, they were built by amateurs and professionals and the world, with all sorts of variations and customizations.

Allan Vaitses did a version in fiberglass, stretched to 37'. AIUI he built something like 20, each customized to the buyer's requirements. Mine has Yanmar 3GM30 in it. I'm musing over pulling it and putting in a pair of electric pod motors. But I'm not doing anything of the sort until I've sailed her for a season.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bayliner Buccaneer 285 center cockpit. This is a beauty! People love this boat. The MacGregor 26x is the successor.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,770 Posts
And I must add our design. Only 39 were built. Olson 34 (constructed by Ericson Yachts.)
Agree with the vote for the Ericson 32-2. Any of the three iterations of the Ericson 38, as well.
I have owned a too tired Ericson 32-2 I feel they only go for a slight premium over comparable boats. I have also spent some time on an Olson 34. It is a really sweet boat but when one comes up for sale the price would be likely 2 times the price of even an E32-3, that's a lot of money for 2 extra feet.

·
Registered
Grampian 34 Ketch
67 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Nonsuch yet. The Nonsuch 26 and 30 sell for way more than similarly sized and aged boats up here in Canada.

They seem to have quite the following.

·
Administrator
9,259 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Nonsuch yet. The Nonsuch 26 and 30 sell for way more than similarly sized and aged boats up here in Canada.

They seem to have quite the following.
See post #10....;)

·
Super Moderator
4,461 Posts
Nonsuch 26 and 30 also offer way more accomodations than similar sized boats. They have huge interiors/comfortable accomodations. Few racers are buying Nonsuches. When compared to cruising type boats with similar interior space, they don't really cost as much as they initially appear.

The only Nonsuch I really think of as over priced is the 22. They make Flickas look cheap.

They consistently command high prices because a lot of people want them because they are big comfy boats that are easy to sail short handed :)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts