SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Looks like I am going to be selling my house and going to be a live aboard..but Iam tall...6.4..what boats have the most head room?
Houseboats, followed by powerboats, as a general rule... :)

In order to answer your question, it might help if you gave at least a HINT as to the size of boat you're considering, and/or the budget you'll be working with...

I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but... I'm an inch taller than you, have spent a fair amount of time on a pretty wide variety of boats, yet I think headroom is one of the most overrated considerations in the selection of a boat... Even for a liveaboard, certainly it is nice to have, but it's still pretty far down my list of priorities re the choice of a boat... And, the smaller the boat, the greater the tradeoff will be between headroom and design elements like high freeboard or coachroof, shallow bilges, and so on... As a very general rule of thumb, there's an inverse proportion between LOA and headroom...

The greater the headroom, and the smaller the boat, the uglier the boat is likely to be... :)

·
Catalina 400 MKII
821 Posts
There are lots of boats that have ample headroom. What kind of boat do you like? I don't mean to not answer your question, but there are so many other criteria that may be more limiting. Examples: traditional or modern? fiberglass or wood or metal? mono or multi? big or small? expensive or cost conscious? racy or cruisy?

Bottom line, if you're serious, go look at a lot of boats. Looking is really fun, and you will find a LOT of boats that have good headroom. By the way, I'm partial to Catalinas, but that's just me. My boat has a lot (I'll go down and measure it later) of headroom. Cheers on ya, Mate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, a few more parameters would be helpful. If you have unlimited funds (and you didn't say you didn't) I'm pretty sure that most anything over say, 60 ft, would have good headroom for you. At the other end of the money scale the Downeaster 38 has about 6'6" in the saloon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My boat happens to have plenty of headroom for me, even though I can't stand up straight in it and I'm 6'5". :rolleyes:
I'd live on it if I could.

Head Space :D
I'm not sure what "plenty of headroom" could mean if you can't stand up in it. Is that like the crawl space under the house has plenty of headroom because you can, like, crawl? In any case, that's a beautiful boat.

·
A melon with a dream...
208 Posts
I have to agree that headroom, while nice, honestly isn't essential. I am 6'2" and my Columbia 28 is about 5'10" down below. When I first got it I was soon eyeing other boats with taller cabins... but then I found I don't hang out standing up much. Usually if I do it's standing at the galley counter to prepare something. Other than that I am normally sitting or laying down when below.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.