SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 bayfield 32c
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right guys so I need some help here, my Bob's stay took a crap on me. I'm a little bit in a mental pickle as to find the best material to use for my Bobstay. additionally I intend to add a dolphin striker. I've attached some pictures below. What are your thoughts

Attachments

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,952 Posts
Given the geometry of your bowsprit, adding a dolphin striker makes absolutely no sense, and actually potentially increases the loading on the attachment points for your bowspit. Chain is a pretty poor choice for a bobstay since it needs to be overly heavy to minimize stretch. Stainless cable is a great material except that the swage fittings (especially the bottom fitting) are vulnerable to failure since they spend so much time under water. Dyneema would be a super material for this application but it's not a traditional material and would be a poor choice if you do have a dolphin striker. Probably the absolute best choice would be rod rigging, perhaps bronze instead of stainless steel.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Nitonric 50 rod and fittings is the best unless you what to go to Titanium

·
Unhinged and Fluid
64 Posts
im no materials expert here but it would seam simplest just to replace the chain with another new length of chain since its already set up for it. Unless you are going for weight savings...why change it ? KISS

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,952 Posts
The problem with chain is that it 'stretches' a lot due to the geometry of the chain links. While a 5/16" stainless steel or dyneema bobstay would be adequate. But the OP would need to replace the 5/16" SS with a 3/8" chain to have a similar stretch for the same strain.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts