SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When disconnecting my batteries for the winter, a brass bolt fell down. (Hey, why shouldn't it?) It can be retrieved, probably with one hour's worth of disconnecting stuff to lift the batteries out of their box.

But.

I have a stainless steel bolt that fits. Can I use that to re-attach the (negative) or will ss somehow create a problem? I figure that the bolt merely presses the connection together, and there should be no ill effect, but, what do I know...

Thanks, all of you out there

·
Master Mariner
9,107 Posts
Most batteries are sold with s/s nuts or wing nuts and if you check, I believe the stud is s/s. No problem with the s/s in my opinion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A galvanised or zinc plated bolt would do just as well. It may be only a lead terminal with a plated cable connector to be bolted.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
SS is just great it is only to secure the connection however do not use common steel bolts a season of rust usually makes removal impossible. M2CW

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Don't forget to get the dropped bolt out before you go sailing.

Any movement between the batteries/enclosure may wear a hole in the battery case/s

But to the point - my batteries have been connected with clamps fastened with SS bolts "forever".

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Just read this happened when you were winterizing you should be removing the batteries anyway and taking them home to protect from freeze damage and to place them on a float charge maintance charger

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Just read this happened when you were winterizing you should be removing the batteries anyway and taking them home to protect from freeze damage and to place them on a float charge maintance charger
If charged the batteries will not freeze. They also will maintain a fuller charge when cold.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
If charged the batteries will not freeze. They also will maintain a fuller charge when cold.
I have had a battery freeze in a vehicle in the winter of 1990 in Wyoming it got to 35 below that winter at my sisters ranch

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I have had a battery freeze in a vehicle in the winter of 1990 in Wyoming it got to 35 below that winter at my sisters ranch
Couldn't have been at a very high state of charge. Even at 85% it would be good to -62F.

From Trojan battery:

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I had just driven there from here for Christmas and it was a new interstate battery I'm just telling what happened to me now with wind chill it may have been much colder and I did have a big block heater

1 - 12 of 12 Posts