SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have access to the Interwebby, (which I would assume you do if you are reading this) there's a online book library, where you can register for a free library card and have full access to their lending library.

It's a wonderful collection of scanned books, the files are encrypted and once you have taken a book out on loan you have 14 days to return it.
It is of course just a digital file you may read on your tablet/phone or PC.

This may not suit everyone I know you can easily purchase digital books, which are far better quality, plus you can it keep forever.

This library has a collection of 11 million books and texts, which should suit most readers, each day they add another 1000 books. I was trying to work out how big a space you would need to house this many books in paperback form, it looks like an decent oil tanker could probably manage it.

Here is the link to the library:

https://archive.org/

From the information I have found, they appear to be a legitimate non profit American organization.

But I'm sure others will have differing opinions, but hey that's fine. I would be interested in your views on the subject.

I personally don't really see the difference between a state run book library to a digital one.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
Sounds like a neat idea. For some reason, I still prefer a book in print. Especially a hard cover. There is something about the feel and aesthetics that brings enjoyment as well. I've read books on my ipad and didn't love it. My wife has a kindle, which doesn't appeal to me.

Most marinas I've been to will have a book exchange shelf. Leave one, take one. There is something appealing about that random intersection of our lives that I enjoy too. I've read some great books that I probably would have never purchased, but they looked the most appealing on that shelf.

Amazon Prime has also become an electronic book source for many. The books are free, with your annual paid subscription.

Reactions: TonyCross

·
Registered
941 Posts
I occasionally pick up something interesting on the marina book exchange shelves, but have found most of them to be filled with old Danielle Steele and Tom Clancy novels and the like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have noticed book exchange between Cruising folk is very common and very satisfying, rid of the old with anticipation of the new.

Personally I love sailing stories, especially when the sea is far away; as it is for me at the moment.

Here are a few books I would recommend in no particular order:

Survive the Savage Sea (Robertson)
Close to the Wind (Peter Goss)
Fast Lady (Kay Cottee)
Sailing Alone around the World/Liberdade (Joshua Slocum)
The lonely sea and the sky (Chichester)
Endurance (Lancing)

here are a couple recently recommended to me which I haven't yet read:

“Desperate voyage ” by John Caldwell
“Sea Change” by Peter Nichols

I'm sure there people reading this thinking why did he ignore such and such ..... well I'm sure as soon as I press "post" I will also think of some others.

If you have any great book suggestions please share them.

Tony

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
We got a couple of e-readers four years ago and have never gone back to paper. No more smelly books on the boat, no more scrounging and trading to get new books.

Many public libraries lend e-books now. I download books wherever I am from The Toronto library. They stay on my e-reader for 21 days and then magically disappear. I usually download four or five at a time but you're allowed 30 at a time. We are in the Bahamas most of the winter and it's a delight to be able to access new reading material whenever I want.

With a Bahamian sim and the improved data service with BTC, getting online is no longer a problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick update, it has been pointed out to me that due the the huge volume of material on this site, when searching for a specific book may I suggest clicking on the "Advanced search" button then adding book name and author.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
The search feature on the site is nearly worthless. You're much better off doing a google search with the following syntax:

site:sailnet.com XXXXXXX

Where the Xs are whatever you are searching for. Google will limit it's results to the site you identify, in this case sailnet.com. Works for any site and any search criteria.

Although, I'm not sure why I would search for a book here, unless I was hoping to read a review.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The search feature on the site is nearly worthless. You're much better off doing a google search with the following syntax:

site:sailnet.com XXXXXXX

Where the Xs are whatever you are searching for. Google will limit it's results to the site you identify, in this case sailnet.com. Works for any site and any search criteria.

Although, I'm not sure why I would search for a book here, unless I was hoping to read a review.
Ooops looks like I was clear as mud with my last post.

I was talking about searching for a specific book on the Book lending site:

https://archive.org

However, thanks for the great tip on searching this site..

Cheers Tony

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Archive.org is what used to be known simply as "the wayback machine". If they've gotten organized into a registration-required lending library, that sounds like they cut a deal with the copyright holders and formalized things a bit. They're way more than a lending library though. Their original mission was, literally, to create an archive that preserves at least one copy of everything "created".

Most public libraries also lend current ebooks and audiobooks online, often through the Overdrive service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts