SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a whole mass of books that I want to put on the boat. Paperback and hardback. But I was wondering if this a good idea? I mean, won't all the moisture that's around the boat at port ruin the books. And what if you're sea and somehow water gets below deck...that could be a problem too.

·
19,489 Posts
Keeping paper dry on board starts with NO deck leaks, no window/port leaks, good ventilation and ultimately, use of a dehumidifier.

We don't live aboard, but are in the water year round in the PNW and cruise 80-100 days/year on average. We have run a Sears dehumidifier for the last 5 or 6 years and it's worked wonders at keeping things dry, mold/mildew free and paper crisp all that time.

·
Registered
962 Posts
We keep quite a few books on our present boat with few or no problems. They're great to have, I read more on our boat than at home(no internet,...).

Our last boat used to destroy them. As Faster says, if you have deck leaks or poor ventilation(we had both), you're books will suffer.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Books are a great thing to have anywhere - I keep at least a dozen good books on the boat all the time, and although I rotate them on and off most have stayed on the boat for a year or more with no mold or mildew problems - but the boat doesn't leak, at least not where it could get even close to any of the books.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
We do audible.com which is kinda nice; We're able to keep at least a hundred books and they're easy to get too. Another nice thing is you can jack into the aux input and have it play threw the boats system

It's an option

Reactions: randyrhines

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I've gone Kindle, been giving my paper books away, one friend got the complete set of O'Brian's books and another got the Hornblower series.
I've been able to find some pretty obscure historical stuff electronically that was hard to get on paper.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a Kindle also, and enjoy it, but there is a big difference between having a Kindle and having books.....having real life hardcopy books on hand makes the boat feel more like home and reading moe satisfying somehow.

Reactions: DJR351 and Faster

·
19,489 Posts
Same here.. we've gone Kobo but still kind of prefer to hold a real book....

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
So I have a whole mass of books that I want to put on the boat. Paperback and hardback. But I was wondering if this a good idea? I mean, won't all the moisture that's around the boat at port ruin the books. And what if you're sea and somehow water gets below deck...that could be a problem too.
Load and remove, load and remove. I do the same thing with GPS, radios, and other handheld electronics. There is no reason to store them on the boat.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I've gone the way of the Kindle for general reading, slowly getting rid of my paperbacks at my favorite bars (which all have a trade-and-exchange type of library) her in the Caribbean. The only exception is my good book collection - the Encyclopaedia Britannica "Great Books" that come with a 10-year reading plan :)

·
Old as Dirt!
3,484 Posts
At last count we had nearly 100 books aboard between the bookshelves in our aft quarter-cabin, the salon and the master cabin plus a ton of reference books, cruising guides, navigation tables (HO229) etc. at the navigation table and we've had no problems. We prefer real books as once we've gone through them, we can trade them and many clubs and cruising destinations have book-exchange libraries as well. FWIW we have a bunch of silica-gel desiccant packs and keep a few behind the books on each shelf. When they turn pink, we dry them in a warm oven (150º) for an hour or so and restore their usefulness and so have never had a problem. For longer term storage, stick them in gallon zip-locks with a desiccant pack and they'll last almost forever. There may be something to be said for "electronic" books but I haven't figured out what it is and they are worthless when the power goes down or if one needs an emergency supply of toilet paper.

FWIW...

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts
We have reference books on board and each has its own plastic bag and never come up on deck unless at anchor. Lots of novels for when underway and for swapping. Novels tend when underway can and regularly get wet once this happens thay never go back on thr book shelf as they don't ever dry out.

·
Randy Hines
179 Posts
We do audible.com which is kinda nice; We're able to keep at least a hundred books and they're easy to get too. Another nice thing is you can jack into the aux input and have it play threw the boats system

It's an option
Sounds like a good idea and option in addition to books,

·
Randy Hines
179 Posts
I don't need books... the voices in my head are entertaining enough.
Yes, yes I've never been able to stop the voices for very long, every now and then the small piece of tinfoil I wear inside my hat blocks them tho, I keep it there mainly to defeat government tracking systems.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't want the space loss nor the weight gain with paper books, and I also don't want to deal with yet another electronic device. Therefore, I installed the !FREE! Kindle app on both my iPhone and my laptop. There are beaucoup free e-books (all the classics) available at gutenberg.org, and quite a few free books in the Amazon Kindle Store.

I can keep e-books in The Cloud and download them with whatever device I have to hand and they sync up from one device to the other. I also keep technical PDF files (ex. manuals) within the Kindle app so I don't have to bother with Internet links for things I frequently reference.

I'm diggin' the technology, me

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
I've gone the way of the Kindle for general reading, slowly getting rid of my paperbacks at my favorite bars (which all have a trade-and-exchange type of library) her in the Caribbean. The only exception is my good book collection - the Encyclopaedia Britannica "Great Books" that come with a 10-year reading plan :)

By the appearance of the plastic, your adherence to the reading plan is going about as well as mine is. These books have been a constant in my home since we bought the encyclopedias for my daughter over twenty years ago ans I think so far I have gotten through about 7 of them. Wanna race to the end?:cool:

·
Not Finished Yet
829 Posts
At anchor they should be fine. Before going offshore, wrap them all in zip-locks. When you are done, take all the zip-locks and put them in one bag for next time. If you boat is fiberglass, water will get below deck eventually.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts