SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear SailNet Community,

Hello and thank you for allowing me to post my query!

Would you be so kind as to share your experience with mainsail boom furling, both good and bad. I am not interested in in-mast or behind the mast furlers. I'm just trying to get a feel from those of you who have them, sailed with 'em, used to have 'em, installed 'em or fixed 'em.

Regards,

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry none of you have felt the need to respond to a "newbie".

I have 10K+ ocean miles under my keel, just looking for advice to furl from the boom after exhausting the mainsail furling option.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Probably not because you're a "newbie". Just that these discussions have taken place a number of times in the past on this board, Cruisers Forum, SSCA, etc.

I have a LeisureFurl with a purpose-built full-batten main by North Sails. It was installed in Annapolis in December 2002. Since then, have sailed on the Chesapeake and its tributaries, and two trips to Maine.

Short version: I love it. It allows me to single-hand easily (42' 27,500lb sloop) in just about any weather. All controls lead to cockpit, so without leaving cockpit I have full control of both genoa and main. Electric winch for the LeisureFurl. Necessary. Makes hoisting, reefing, and striking an easy chore.

It's a bit tricky setting up initially, getting the boom angle set correctly, and learning how much tension to keep on the halyard/reefing line when furling/hoisting, respectively. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

Full-battens. Very, very quiet, even when not trimmed. A bit difficult to judge proper trim, because it's so quiet all the time. Don't notice any loss of speed over previous slab-reefed main.

Pricey, but reliable and a wonderful thing to have as you get up in years and don't really fancy going up on deck in nasty weather.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts