SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stepped the mast for the first time on our new to us Venture 21 and after hooking up the boom it seems alittle low. My question is can you raise it? After we raised the main sail we realized there is a bit of slack in it... Is that normal when yard yachting? (aka not on water and making sure everything works properly) or should the sail have tension in it? If I raise the boom it will have more slack in it than before is that ok? Please let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one knows if you can raise the boom up? I find this hard to believe!!! You guys are such a great source of information on every topic I have had!!!! Don't fail me now guys

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
From the drawing here VENTURE 21 it looks like the boat has a low boom.

My boat is a similar size and vintage and the gooseneck on my boom slides up and down the sailtrack on the mast. It has little screw-in stops to keep it in place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok but I am talking about with no wind, sitting in the drive way should there be a bit of slack in the sail?

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
If there's absolutely no wind, the sails will be slack because there isn't any wind to fill them. Like they'll look if you point directly upwind on the water.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
It's hard to tell without photos, but it sounds like creel is describing the luff having slack in it. That shouldn't be.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,412 Posts
I would post pics but it wont let me

Posting pics directly to SN has NEVER worked....

Post photos to flickr, photobucket, snapfish, youtube, whatever image hosting service you like, and then post a LINK here with a "
" after, and life is good... or at least better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts