SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a in boom roller furling system installed on a boat under 30''. I''m always trying to make sailing more enjoyable for my wife (who has only been sailing a few years) and my two small children. Was curious how feasible it would be, what kind of costs are involved, do the systems work well, and who makes a good system.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Hi Rob,

The British magazine "Yachting Monthly" just did a piece on "in-boom reefing" in their September issue, pg 44. Generally favorable review, which is more than is ever said for in-mast furling!

Prices are included in the article, though you will have to convert pounds to dollars. Manufacturers reviewed were: Schaefer, Leisurefurl, ProFurl, ReefRite, Hi-Low Reefer, Sailtainer, FurlerBoom and Furlboom. Their URLs were included - let me know if you want them.

The magazine should still be on the stands.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Unless your sailing on a lake I don''t like putting expensive items on small boats.

But items like roller furling/reefing headsails and autopilots I consider necessary. You are right that sailing is hard enough already.

Consider what I do and do everything yourself. That way the wife can just relax.

For instance if you have a masthead sloop make the genoa your primary sail. Start and end sailing with it. Don''t even use the main sail unless the conditions suggest it. And if it gets windy strike the mailsail first and finish the sailing on just the genoa.

That way you can raise and lower the main on your terms and not need to get it up right away while you are at the wheel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts