SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boom slides

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  AdamLein 
#1 ·
Hi, been getting boat ready for the summer season. We purchased it back in DEC 08.. a 1990 Hunter 28. 1 of my sail slides has broken near the top. About 4 or 5 down from the top. help me... How do I replace the slide? I have several spares, but there is no access slot to put the tee silde into.. Thought it would be on the mainsail track but to no avail... Any ideas?? My boom is attached to the main via a pivot mounted on the mast which is riveted in place??? I dunno.. Thanx in advance
Mark

#2 ·
There should be an opening/widening in the sail track somewhere not too far above the boom connection (called the gooseneck, by the way). It may be covered by a small plate that should be removable. There may also be a pin in the mast to stop the bottom slide from reaching that opening so that the slides don't fall out on their own.

Someone put those slides up the mast when the sail was installed, so there has to be a way.

#3 ·
yep yep I knew it was called something hahahaha Gooseneck,, have looked and there is no opening. I may have to get my dremel tool and make a access slot on mast and then put a pin in there as you stated.. My bro in law sails an Islander and his is behind the goosneck , but my gooseneck is riveted in place...

#4 ·
If you create that opening yourself (but, again, somehow they got those slides in in the first place, and it was not likely before the boom was installed) do it as low as you can get away with... the slides will stack higher in the track with that pin in place, and may make your sail cover fit, or the reach to the headboard, more difficult. Also, make the slot long enough for the heavier, usually longer, headboard slides.

#5 ·
Please listen to "Faster" There is a spot to put the sail slugs into. Honest. Take some pictures and post them and one of us will point it out. Never add holes anywhere on a boat that are not needed.

Think - "Extra holes on boat - bad!" Especially below the water line :)

Rik

#6 ·
There is a slot... otherwise, how did the sail slugs get into the track??? Listen to Faster... post some photos...

#7 ·
Dudley,

Listen to the voices of experience that have already told you, no new holes. There has to be a way the sail was installed, and can be uninstalled. Many sailors, myself included, remove the mainsail for winter storage. My main is off and on at least once a year and can be done anytime by removing a stopper on the gooseneck at the base of the sail track. I've helped friends on a variety of boats remove and install their mainsails and every boat manufacturer provides some way (as described) to remove the sail.

Good luck, be patient, post photos...MGM

#12 ·
Do I have to have a minimum # of posts before I can add pics?? Sailnet wont accept my pic upload... it is small size too. it is out there on another forum (not as good as this one though(
Dudley
Yes, you have to have 10 posts, I believe.

#13 ·
You have to have 10 posts to post a link to an image hosted elsewhere or to PM. You can post an image by attaching it to your post, but that seems to be basically broken on Sailnet as long as I've been here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.