SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning of the season my boat still had a snow cover over it which made chores in the cockpit more pleasant midday.

I took the remanents from the white tarp and cut it down to make a sort of boom tent I will try out this week. When visiting the dock last week I saw a mesh tarp stretched over a catalina 25 that looked like it provided nice shade and possibly a little more breeze through the cockpit.

I have seen a sailrite video where they added an extension to the Mainsail cover. I am just looking for suggestions on materials and methods on making the cockpit more comfortable.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I tried a light colored mesh shade. It did not provide enough shade for summer conditions on the Chesapeake. I've had better success with sunbrella that just reaches over the top lifeline.

·
Super Moderator
4,241 Posts
I have a powerboat style fold down bimini. It's pretty nice sun or rain. Easy, I just flip it up like a convertible car roof. You can buy them reasonably off amazon.
20200725_140304.jpg

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Use the cheap tarps to learn how to maximize for your use.
Sissors, duct tape, tape measure, twine
Get creative, think it out
Might want a 100d sun shade thats cut different than a 600d rain awning...etc
Then make some good ones

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I have a tent - awning which is big rectangle of Sunbrella with grommets at the 4 corners and mid way on each side. I don't recall the dimensions but it's probably 10' x 10' or so. I rig it as follows:
center grommet on the forward end gets the halyard clipped to it. The aft center grommet is clipped with a carbine to the backstay (it has a block so it doesn't slide down. 4 corners have light lines tied to the grommets which are tied to the life lines at a stanchion or the pushpit. I also have a long line in the forward center grommet to tie to the mast to put tension in the top of the inverted V. Simple... it works... easy to deploy and stow. Keeps the cabin 10° cooler and cockpit dry and sun off when we are in the cockpit at anchor.

·
Master Mariner
8,371 Posts
About ten years ago I bought some Sun Screen Fabric from the garden dept of Home depot. I think it is for plants.
Anyway, not thinking the stuff would last very long I just tied knots in the four corners and tied on the lines to hold it up with. After three years in the tropical sun and wind (including rain squalls to 45 or 50 knots) it was still going strong. No tears or failures of any kind. So we took some more to a canvas place and had edging and grommets sewn on and these look good and have worked perfectly for 5 years or so. It seems they will last another 5 without any problems.
These covers have holes through them so big winds do not put an inordinate amount of pressure on their attachment points on the rig or stanchions and yet the cut the heat by about 75%. We use the black.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use the cheap tarps to learn how to maximize for your use.
Sissors, duct tape, tape measure, twine
Get creative, think it out
Might want a 100d sun shade thats cut different than a 600d rain awning...etc
Then make some good ones
That is what I just did. I had a winter cover tarp that i had cut up to try to fit the mast up situation of storage. It was pretty ragged, so I squared it up as best as possible and used double sided tape and a grommet tool.

Eventually i will likely end up with a sunbrella something but it is too expensive to work with until I get back into sewing and know I can make it nice enough to work with such expensive material.

Some interesting designs from Sailrite. It would save in material and storage. For now waiting on better skills before I cut expensive fabrics.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Spend some time with your mock up and imagine all that will affect it..and what it will affect
You can find good dwr polyester fabric for 1/4th the cost of branded sunbrella...and last many years
Rarely is the first design your final keeper

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Found a pic of the tent which I use also in the winter.... This was "put together" in the mid 90s and it's still ticking.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
On our last boat we started with a blue tarp that went the length of our boom, and was wider than the beam of the cockpit. We used lengths of 3/4" pvc pipe as ribs to make an "African queen" (old guy reference) style cover that projected straight out the sides. The end of each rib was tied to the lifelines. It provided great shade while still being open and airy. If the weather took a turn all you had to do was cinch down the ties. That would bend the pvc ribs into a curved arch, making more of a "chuckwagon" (another old guy reference!) cover that withstood wind and rain pretty well. I cut the pvc pipes in half, and then re connected them using couplers. That way the whole thing could be folded in half and rolled up on the half length pipe pieces making a tidy bundle.

Once we refined the design we made version 2.0 out of a generic sunbrella knockoff fabric.

We got a lot of use out of that setup in all weather for many years.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On our last boat we started with a blue tarp that went the length of our boom, and was wider than the beam of the cockpit. We used lengths of 3/4" pvc pipe as ribs to make an "African queen" (old guy reference) style cover that projected straight out the sides. The end of each rib was tied to the lifelines. It provided great shade while still being open and airy. If the weather took a turn all you had to do was cinch down the ties. That would bend the pvc ribs into a curved arch, making more of a "chuckwagon" (another old guy reference!)
My simple setup got put to the test this week. It made a huge difference in quality of life onboard. After an afternoon of cleaning and repairs a huge storm came through and it was nice to sit in the cockpit dry and watch the lightning around us. We discovered the source of leaks into the boat and was able to leave the tarp in place when we left to prevent leaks into the boat. I am looking forward to building a bigger better one.

Your Chuckwagon setup sounds ideal. Do you have any photos of the setup from afar, close ups?

Here is an example of Chuckwagons local to me. Jackson Hole Wyoming Chuckwagon Dinners / Shows

·
12,165 Posts
That is what I just did. I had a winter cover tarp that i had cut up to try to fit the mast up situation of storage. It was pretty ragged, so I squared it up as best as possible and used double sided tape and a grommet tool.

Eventually i will likely end up with a sunbrella something but it is too expensive to work with until I get back into sewing and know I can make it nice enough to work with such expensive material.

Some interesting designs from Sailrite. It would save in material and storage. For now waiting on better skills before I cut expensive fabrics.

My wife made simple sun blocking side screens from the Sailrite mesh. The sell two densities. And the work great on the Chesapeake as that’s where we sail.

Fold in half along the edge and sew it. It will easily accept grommets and is a simple easy way for us novices ( unlike my wife) to make a nice clean un-frayed edge which can accept grommets/ snaps

·
Barquito
3,500 Posts
If you are at anchor, and you tie the tarp a little higher at the mast, you will have a little more room below, and it will create a funnel shape. The wind accelerates a little going through. Without setting a lot of rigging, the boom tents tend to be a little cramped at the sides. You can create a simple rectangle tent with two poles that are about as long as your boat is wide. Sew a sleeve into each end for the poles. The poles will keep the tarp up high at the edges to give you more headroom, and let more breeze through. These are available commercially, too.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can create a simple rectangle tent with two poles that are about as long as your boat is wide. Sew a sleeve into each end for the poles. .
This is the kind of design I plan to make. I have another large piece of the leftover tarp. I am going to try to create something like you describe out of the tarp just not sure how to create a pocket in a plastic tarp.

I want to perfect a design before working with expensive materials like Sunbrella.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can use tubular webbing to create pockets
Personally, i would use a low stretch fabric...and pull it tight tight
That is a good idea for the tubular webbing I even have some on hand. Just got to figure out the right glue for it.

For now I am using a tarp because it is white, free and on hand. My order of zippers arrived today from a July 18th order. The primary purpose is for sun but on the version 1's maiden voyage we were stuck in the boatyard during a thunderstorm. It was awesome to finish the days work with a beer in hand watching the storm while sitting dry. If the final product is not fully waterproof I will have to have at least one for this purpose.

·
Barquito
3,500 Posts
If you are going to make the final version out of sunbrella, you will want to sew it. It would only take a few minutes to sew pockets into a test tarp (although it takes me a long time to remember how the sewing machine works). Any regular sewing machine should be able to handle a few layers of this fabric. If you have other projects, you may want to look into a more robust machine.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
For a trial you can simply knot the webbing on both sides of a grommet
As long as the pole is inside the webbing pocket you can set any angle desired.
Guyline to grommet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts