SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of making a light boom tent type winter cover for my boat. I'd like to try something other than sunbrella for easier sewing and also to make the cover as light as possible. It's primary job is to keep rain and bird poop off the deck :)

Does anyone have experience making such things out of other waterproof fabrics, for example the nylon stuff they make rainjackets from? I am thinking of using the lightest possible material and reinforcing it with occasional webbing strap every 4-5 feet or so. What would be the downside to using that? Any other materials?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
what you would really want is silnylon, its ripstop nylon coated with silicone. it water proof light weight and pretty darn tear resistant. any sail loft will have it, but its tricky to sew as its slippery as he11

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
How UV resistant is it? If it isn't, then it isn't a suitable material for a boom tent.
what you would really want is silnylon, its ripstop nylon coated with silicone. it water proof light weight and pretty darn tear resistant. any sail loft will have it, but its tricky to sew as its slippery as he11

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.