SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a real replacement for my ratchet strap vang :D Typical Lewmar fiddle block unit with cam cleat..
Problem I'm having is how to rig to have the cam release work; from either cockpit or deck at mast. If Iplace it w/the cam at the bottom of mast, the cleat won't release unless I twist it about and. pull up.. Rigged "upside-down" w/the cleat at the boom, I'd haft a be on the foredeck to pull-to-release . Either way, pulling aft is not possible :rolleyes:

Is this piece of equipment really a mainsheet block set or am I hooking/lookingn at it wrong?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
photo would help us envision it. Would a swivel at the bottom ameliorate the twist and pull-up problem? Or could you use a block near the fulcrum, led back to cockpit, to give you the right release angle from the cam?

I'm thinking that unless you get a knockdown, releasing the vang is more typically done when it's not under load, such as before raising the main or after lowering it. Exception to that might be when reefing.

·
19,485 Posts
I'd remove the cleat at the bottom block and run it back to a cam cleat on the cabintop.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
If it's anything like this... with the block upside down, it works for me because I can stand in the cockpit and adjust it. If yours is too far away from the cockpit, or the boom is too high, then putting the cleat upside down (as you say) doesn't work well. I got criticism for rigging mine this way by one of our local ASA instructors... Saying it was "backwards." Truth is if I had another turning block on deck, I'd flip it "rightways" and run the lead through the turning block to a cam on the coachroof (to make it easier to adjust on the fly).. but this isn't bad.

As an option, you can run a short length of cable from the boom to the cleat-side, and get the tackle away from the boom.
Much like this one (only with the cleat at the top, and without the extra purchase):

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
On my PB the PO had a setup with the cam at the boom end, I found it almost impossible to release (I could never get enough upwards angle), I ended up switching it around to put the cam at the deck end and fiddled with the angle until it worked. It was still a little difficult to engage the cleat (had to have the hatch open) but I could release it easily from anywhere in the cockpit and that was more important to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts