SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you figure the working load of a boom vang? In other words I have a Starwind 22, 108 sq ft main and trying to figure out if I need to order a boom vang with a working load of 1000lbs or one for 2000lbs. I don't sail in heavy winds. Nothing over 15kts until I get more experience sailing.

Hope this is enough information as I'm not sure what else I need to post.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I do not know the calculation, but I will venture based on experience that the lower-rated vang will be more than adequate for the sailing you describe.

As an example, heres a 1750 SWL vang from Schaeffer recommended for boats 25'-32'.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
LostMT-

Highly recommend you look at the Garhauer rigid boomvangs. They're probably less money and semi-custom. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Why would the rigid vang be better than the block and tackle?

·
Special Delivery
661 Posts
Functions as a boom support instead of using a topping lift although I use both as the topping lift can be used as a spare main halyardinan emergency.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The Garhauer rigid boomvang is only $275 or so, vs. the $325 or so for the soft boom vang from Schaeffer and far more versatile... it's a no brainer IMHO. If your boat were larger, the next size rigid boom vang is only $412, so it is still a no-brainer IMHO... :)

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
The Garhauer rigid boomvang is only $275 or so, vs. the $325 or so for the soft boom vang from Schaeffer and far more versatile... it's a no brainer IMHO. If your boat were larger, the next size rigid boom vang is only $412, so it is still a no-brainer IMHO... :)
...except that the Garhauer tackle vang is only $100-120. (not counting the needed bails). So, is it worth paying more that 2x as much for the rigid vang? Maybe.

·
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Why would the rigid vang be better than the block and tackle?
It's not....

the boom vang only needs to work in tension.. (except when the wind is so slow that the weight of the boom actually flattens the sail, but for that use the topping lift instead, and unload the mast)..

It's just a HEAVY commodity for lazy people...and because all boats have it..so to sell they all install them...

·
1,000 Posts
I have a boom vang...are you calling me lazy?
did YOU put it there???

or

It was there when you bought it???

Then the LAzy is the guy that owned it before, or the guy that bought it firts, as the guy that build it, surely made money with it....

It's kinda like making money selling bling bling wheels for SUV's.....I hope the guys selling them rip the guys buying them...(thinking they actually do something)...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Choices

If you want to get rid of topping lift go with ridgid vang or add boomkicker to normal vang. Maybe on 22 footer cunningham and outhaul is enough?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I apologize for not replying sooner. WiFi been down.

...except that the Garhauer tackle vang is only $100-120. (not counting the needed bails). So, is it worth paying more that 2x as much for the rigid vang? Maybe.
I have top lifting so at this time I feel that all I need is a block and tackle vang. When we get more experience and a larger boat then would consider the additional cost of a rigid vang.

Thanks one an all for your comments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts